Cheap softboxes on eBay- questions

Hi all,

I've read great things both here and elsewhere about the Dynaphos softboxes sold at amvona.com (and on eBay). An example:

http://www.amvona.com/v7/shop/?page=shop/f...product_id=2358

They claim to have a "universal" speed ring, but I can't quite determine how that works- is it adjustable somehow? I'd most be interested in using them with Arrilite 800's (and/or Ianiro Redhead 800's)... does anyone know how well they'd fit this type of light?

I'm also looking at this brand/seller, which I haven't been able to find any info on:

SQB Studio Softbox 75x75cm For Continuous Lighting

Apparently this model has been tested with 1000W continuous lights, but the speedrings offered are only for various kinds of flashes... so I guess I'd have to get one that matches approximately for size and modify it. But I'm basically just curious to know if anyone has bought these before, and knows if they're any good.

Cheers,

Bon

Guest krnxboy91

hi! i bought the same softbox that you're interested from amnova, except i bought the kit which included the lamp as well. i highly recommend it because its reliable, cheap, and works! i am 100% satisfied with it epecially because the material is such high-quality for a low price. i only got mine for about $100 bux compared to the street price for $300-400!

i highly recommend you buying the complete photo digital tungsten lighting kit which includes the two 1000 watt lamps, light stand, soft case, and the necessary parts and accessories!

hope this helps!

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, one of the complete lighting kits would be nice. I don't quite have the budget for that at the moment, but maybe in a few months. Also, they're 120V, and I am based in Australia (a 220-240V country). A couple more questions for you:

(1) What sort of bulb do they use? Are replacements widely available?

(2) Is the power cord detachable?

Cheers.

Bon

I have three amvona softboxes, and I'm very happy with them. considering how little they cost from ebay, the quality is amazing.

The universal speedring is virtually useless, however. The speedring comes in two parts. The inner ring is designed for flash units, and probably isn't good for anything else. The outer ring, which the softbox attaches to, may fit some lamps as is, but you're almost certainly going to have to get some thing made. I had some adaptors made to fit my Arri Fresnels.

The Tungsten lighting kits they sell are based around a copy of the Photoflex Starlite heads, and take the same 1k tubular lamps. They're really only designed to be used with a softbox, as they have no reflector or lens system.

Stuart,

Thanks very much for the info. Where did you go to have the adapters made- a machinist? (I have no skill whatsoever at making such things myself. :))

Being UK-based, I don't suppose you know if the Starlite clones work with 220/240V, simply by using the appropriate bulbs and cables?

Thanks,

Bon

I had my adapters made by a machinist. They weren't cheap, but less than buying a speedring from Chimera.

I would imagine that the heads themselves just need a new AC cable and a 240v lamp to run over here (or in Australia) I know that's all that's required for the Photoflex version.

Thanks again for your help. I hope you don't mind a further question.

I presume, based on your mention of a Chimera speedring, that while speedrings are designed for specific lights, they can accept a wide range of softboxes? (Due to the way that a softbox 'flexes' into its speedring rather than attaching in a really precise way.) And that most brand-name speedrings (Chimera, Photoflex, etc.) would probably work fine with the Amvona softboxes?

I apologise if these seem like silly questions, but having never actually used a softbox before, I'm just trying to get my head around some finer details about how they work. I also acknowledge that this is bargain-priced gear that I'm looking at, so some compromise/modification may well be necessary, whatever I purchase.

Cheers,

Bon

I presume, based on your mention of a Chimera speedring, that while speedrings are designed for specific lights, they can accept a wide range of softboxes? (Due to the way that a softbox 'flexes' into its speedring rather than attaching in a really precise way.) And that most brand-name speedrings (Chimera, Photoflex, etc.) would probably work fine with the Amvona softboxes?

Within reason, yes. A 4'x3' softbox is pretty much the same no matter who makes it. Obviously, you'd want to check the fit before you spend a lot of money on a speedring

I don't know if he's still around, but there was a seller called 2DDreammaker, who sold low-priced video gear. I bought a 2x3 softbox that he INSISTED was made for hot lights up to 1K. Guess what? First time I used it, I noticed it sagging, and when I went over to check, the plastic (yes plastic) on the end of one of the rods was melted. So obviously, not so much was this rig made for hot lights. So. . .watch out.

Stuart- many thanks again.

Josh- thanks for the heads-up. 2DDreammaker is still around- I've also looked at a few of his products. I think I'll stick with the Amvona stuff to begin with, since it seems to have a good reputation.

Cheers,

Bon