Bolex Rating

Shawn Gallagher

Hi Everyone,

I bought a Bolex RX-4 with a Vario-Switar EE 18-86 from a camera dealer on ebay. The camera was rated EX+ and I paid just over $1000 for it, but when it arrived the diopter was completely broken and there was dirt and fungus in the viewfinder. The ebay listing didn't menton any of this but described the camera as "95% cosmetically", I also spoke to the dealer on the phone and inquired whether anything was wrong with the camera and the dealer said there was nothing wrong with the camera. Since I need the camera for animation and have bad eyesight, the diopter is essential for fine focusing, and therefore I can't use the camera.

My question is: Was the camera misrepresented or is it common to rate a dirty RX-4 as EX+ with a broken diopter?

I am asking because I've dealt with this dealer before and we had a disagreement on camera rating, so I'd like to have some idea of standard rating before I ask for a refund.

Thanks for your help!!!

Guest Ian Marks

A broken diopter adjustment collar (funny, mine's broken too) and fungus in the finder should not on a camera rated "EX+" . . . period. I also think that at over $1,000, you're at the high end of the price range for a Rex-4 and 18-86, so the camera should look good and be 100% ready to go to work. I suspect the dealer didn't thoroughly inspect the camera before describing it as EX+. I think a gracious dealer would offer you a refund and an apology (or possibly an exchange via overnight FedEx, if he's got another body that does meet your needs). Of course, this is just my opinion.

A broken diopter adjustment collar (funny, mine's broken too) and fungus in the finder should not on a camera rated "EX+" . . . period. I also think that at over $1,000, you're at the high end of the price range for a Rex-4 and 18-86, so the camera should look good and be 100% ready to go to work. I suspect the dealer didn't thoroughly inspect the camera before describing it as EX+. I think a gracious dealer would offer you a refund and an apology (or possibly an exchange via overnight FedEx, if he's got another body that does meet your needs). Of course, this is just my opinion.

Thanks Ian,

I totally agree, thanks again for your reply. Now that I'm sure I'm not crazy for expecting a RX-4 that WORKS for a grand I can request a refund from this dealer with confidence.

Now that I'm sure I'm not crazy for expecting a RX-4 that WORKS for a grand I can request a refund from this dealer with confidence.

yeh, I think thats a crap deal for something listed as 'EX+' - The dealer may not have looked through the viewfinder and may not have been aware... but should still sort out a refund/replace etc