Sound-let's see what ya got.

James Steven Beverly

I just took a look at the Cantar-X. That looks like one sirous piece of equipment. I've never used one before and actually hadn't heard of it before now, but if looks are any indication this thing is bad-assed. I didn't check but these must cost a bazzillion dollars. Probably worth it though. The Deva doesn't look too bad either.

Edited by Capt.Video

OH MY GODDD!!, At 17 grand I think I'd be looking at a better camera rather than sound equipment, course if your doing a meggabucks feature, I suppose their gonna want the best. I just can't see how you would need a machine that costs 17 Grand to record dialog, I mean the dynamic range of the human voice isn't that big unless they use it for sound effects gathering and ambiant sound that has to be perfect, I just can't see it.

Edited by Capt.Video

• Premium Member
OH MY GODDD!!, At 17 grand I think I'd be looking at a better camera rather than sound equipment, course if your doing a meggabucks feature, I suppose their gonna want the best. I just can't see how you would need a machine that costs 17 Grand to record dialog, I mean the dynamic range of the human voice isn't that big unless they use it for sound effects gathering and ambiant sound that has to be perfect, I just can't see it.

Look into the Tascam TDRS DA-88/SY-88 and DA-98 digital recorders. Eight channel recording with SMPTE time code and video sync lock, built-in on the 98's and with the SY-88 card in a '88. I know DuArt can resolve TDRS tapes with time code and there's probably more that can handle them. They're not portables, they're 7" high rack mount machines. But obviously they'll work just fine in the field if you've got AC available.

The current DA-98HR model is AES/EBU in/out, the earlier ones are balanced analog line level in/out. There are outboard adapters available that convert one or the other to the TDIF connector on the back of the machines. I scored a good used DA-98 off eBay for 10% of what a DA-98HR costs new. They have a built-in head life counter, I'd try to get one with 500 hours or less on the heads that's been in an air conditioned studio, etc.

I'll get your Specta manual scanned early this evening.

Forgot to mention, they do require outboard mike preamps, either a wireless system or something like one of the small Mackie mixers will work.

Hal, thanks again, amego on the manual. You are defnately DA MAN! I really apreciate it. If there's ever anything I can help you with, I'll be more than happy to do so.

I gotta be honest with you and admit a lot of what you said concerning the techical info on the units you recommended was Greek to me being new at sound. I have a lot to learn but hope I can start getting famillure with some of this equipment soon. What I've got (from some of my other posts you may already have seen this) Is a Nagra IV-L.

I had thought about going with DAT because these were the choices I could afford right now, but the DATs were almost as expensive at the Fostex Harddisk recorders. which is what I first looked at So I went with the Nagra cuz one came up at a good price. Then of course a Teac DA-P20 Field Dat came up on Ebay for 15 bucks nore than I paided for the Nagra, Ain't that always the way it goes? Anyway I had gotten on recording .com and mentioned what I had to them that I had a Nagra and the Timecode problem. One tech said there is a external timecode generator that can code the tape without affecting the sound so I may try and find one of those although, as of yet, I'm not sure what the maker, model and actual name of the piece is. I also have to find a sync generator.

Worst case senario is I have to sodier in a Tobin Camera System sync board in which may even be the better way to go but I'm a little concerned about screwing it up. I did find an external one but I don't have the bucks for it right this minute so I'll have to wait and hope it's still availible when I've got the cash.

I did see a Marantz PMD222 field broadcast quailty cassette deck Item number: 588101604 that looked simillar to the sony pictured here on sale at Ebay for 65 bucks at this point with about a day and a a half left to bid and sofar noone has bid on it... if anyone is interested (It''s not mine and I have no connection to it just so you all know). There was a demo unit same thing item number: 7401341933, starting at $139.00 If anyone is interested. I don't know if these would be any good for film work but I saw them and I though I would mention them for the poor folk who need something to record on but don't have a lot of cash.

Edited by Capt.Video