Appomattox

Just wrapped on this short film! Here are some shots of our lighting setups. We were on a sound stage. The larger fresnels are 10ks and there are some 2ks and other lights mixed in. Inside the tent we brought in 1ks and 650w's and some mini moles. Lots of fun. Here are some pictures of the set.

post-10617-1143345655.jpgpost-10617-1143345641.jpgpost-10617-1143345678.jpg

• 1 month later...
Just wrapped on this short film! Here are some shots of our lighting setups. We were on a sound stage. The larger fresnels are 10ks and there are some 2ks and other lights mixed in. Inside the tent we brought in 1ks and 650w's and some mini moles. Lots of fun. Here are some pictures of the set.

post-10617-1143345655.jpgpost-10617-1143345641.jpgpost-10617-1143345678.jpg

are those 575's above the actors heads?

Nice SET :-)

are those 575's above the actors heads?

Nice SET :-)

No, they were Arri 650w's with some 216 I believe. They were just giving us some nice highlights on different parts of the set and we would use them for a little rim light for close ups.

Thanks.

-Cole

• Premium Member

I can't see what cameras were being used, you called it a "film" but increasingly that word is describing video shot film style. What was the light level on the set and if film, what stock and t-stops? From your stills it looks like a lot of hard work went into setups for this set - I'd like to learn as much as possible about them.

"tell me more, tell me more, did you get very far?" :)

I suggest moving this thread to "Lighting" if it gets all geeky about the gaffing!

I can't see what cameras were being used, you called it a "film" but increasingly that word is describing video shot film style. What was the light level on the set and if film, what stock and t-stops? From your stills it looks like a lot of hard work went into setups for this set - I'd like to learn as much as possible about them.

"tell me more, tell me more, did you get very far?" :)

I suggest moving this thread to "Lighting" if it gets all geeky about the gaffing!

I shot it all on the Arri SR II. We shot our interiors with 5218 and exteriors with 5217. I maintaned a T. 4 during the interiors and outside I was dealing with horses and actors who didn't know how to ride so we were shooting quickly and not a lot of time for set up (not to mention a huge aero crane shot) which lead to my T stop being anywhere from 5.6 to 11-16 split.

We were fortunate to work on a sound stage -- which was wonderful.

The 10ks set up one on each side of the tent gave me a general ambient fill of T. 2.0-2.8 I would suppliment this by bringing in a 2k and bouncing it off the tent wall or through some diffusion. The tent gave a warmer fill to any light passing through it. At first, I looked at putting 1/2 or 1/4 CTO on the lights coming from outside so that would correct for the "warm" feel of the tent, however, after a pre-rig I decided to keep them clean...this enabled me to have a slight seperation in color temp. with the backlight/rimlight that I would bring into the tent. I typically (if it calls for a backlight, etc.) like my backlight/rimlight to be slightly cooler -- which worked out because when the light wasn't punched through the tent it came off a bit cooler in relation to the other lighting.

Prieto talks about how he had to put (I believe) Full CTO outside the tent in "Brokeback Mountain" to correct for the warmth the tent added to his lighting. I tried this as well but, again I didn't mind the difference in color temp and PLUS I only had limited lights and I needed all the stop I could get out of the 10ks.

It was a lot of fun. I have more pics. with camera stuff if you want me to post I can.

Hope this answers any questions.

Cheers.

Cole

I forgot...

I referenced scenes in "The Patriot" to look at lighting techniques. And I shot mostly on a zoom inside the tent -- a Canon 8-64 Zoom T 2.4 and some Zeiss primes outside.

here is a picture of the same camera I was using on a different film.

http://xbc.xanga.com/c33b910003d3052321049/b35109459.jpg

someone on the crew posted some pictures.

• Premium Member
It was a lot of fun. I have more pics. with camera stuff if you want me to post I can.

Hope this answers any questions.

Cheers.

Cole

I forgot...

I referenced scenes in "The Patriot" to look at lighting techniques. And I shot mostly on a zoom inside the tent -- a Canon 8-64 Zoom T 2.4 and some Zeiss primes outside.

Thank you! Please post whatever's convenient for you. I can learn a lot from what you did with this shoot. I've got a short film cooking and the look inside a large tent intriques me.