Kodak 7272 and Optical Printing

Hi. I'm working on a experimental film using a lot of optical effects with a JK 103 printer. I'm planning on printing from Kodachrome 40 Super 8 to 16mm 7272. I've heard that the blues really pop out on the 7272 and i'm worried that it might be too much since I'm originating from Kodachrome. I'm going to do some tests later this week an am looking for suggestions with color correction while I'm printing. Or anything else to look out for or should include in my test.

Thanks

Sinisa

• Premium Member
Hi. I'm working on a experimental film using a lot of optical effects with a JK 103 printer. I'm planning on printing from Kodachrome 40 Super 8 to 16mm 7272. I've heard that the blues really pop out on the 7272 and i'm worried that it might be too much since I'm originating from Kodachrome. I'm going to do some tests later this week an am looking for suggestions with color correction while I'm printing. Or anything else to look out for or should include in my test.

Thanks

Sinisa

You probably will have to do some things to reduce the contrast as well, since KODACHROME film is a projection contrast film that was not designed for motion picture duplicating. Usually, a combination of pull process and pre-flashing can be used to obtain a much better tone scale than using 7272 without manipulation.

With the advent of really sharp, low grain films like Kodak VISION2 50D Color Negative Film 7201, some may decide to use a camera negative film as an internegative. Again, pre-flashing and pull process can be used to reduce contrast.