actors that work out

Filip Plesha

You had me at Dolph Lundgren. Right up there with Brian Bosworth in the "movies to avoid if this person is in it" category.

Remember a crappy little movie called "EdTV" with Matthew Mcconnaughy (SP?)", I remember he was supposed to be a lazy unemployed loser. . .and he was insanely chiseled in that movie. Just ripped.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
I had the most ridiculous experience a couple of years ago with Dolph Lundgren

Yeh but he's one actor that CAN tell the director what to do, hell I wouldn't argue with him lol

Anyway, we had one scene where he was lying topless in a hospital bed. It took ages to set up as he was constantly asking for the shot to be changed, as he didn't think he looked good in it. Then he started complaining to the Dop about the light, that he didn't look good in that either. Finally, after three hours, he finally agreed to do the shot. Before the take, he rubbed himself down with babyoil so that he would be all shiny, did twenty push-ups to get the muscles hard and lay down in bed. I put in the slate next to his arm and as I was announcing it, I noticed that he flexed all his muslces. And this was for a scene were he was supposed to be unconscious. I have never seen a more fit patient in my whole life!

you gave me quite a laugh there :D

Yeh but he's one actor that CAN tell the director what to do, hell I wouldn't argue with him lol

oh please, look at him. He is great if you are a woman in a bar looking for guys, but just the thought of him in a serious movie playing a serious character is funny.

The way I'd describe him is "fake"

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
oh please, look at him. He is great if you are a woman in a bar looking for guys, but just the thought of him in a serious movie playing a serious character is funny.

The way I'd describe him is "fake"

lol, thanks to movies like Rocky and Universal Soldier I just always see him as a russian robot. The 1980's die hard action movie type.

But.. pha I could take him.

• Premium Member

With the possible exception of "Intolerable Cruelty", the Coen Brothers have managed to make a career out of featuring 'less than glamorous' actors and actresses. "Big Fat Greek Wedding" was also hugely successful. Sergio Leone would look for actors with physical flaws. I recently saw an admittedly light weight comedy where the protaganist started out at least a couple of hundred pounds overweight. I thought it was a great casting idea, just as a refreshing change of pace. (The movie went downhill as soon as she lost the weight, thus becoming 'glamorous', although I'll admit the flick was never really too far 'uphill' to begin with.) "Napoleon Dynamite" is another example of a movie that would have been undermined by an infusion of glamour.

Although I didn't come up with many 'dramatic' flicks as examples, I'm sure there are a good number, as well. (If not, there should be.) I think the greatest asset for an actor or actress is being able to make the audience actually care about them. This is what draws an audience into a film.

Edited by dgoulder

• Premium Member

I think it boils down to the strategy an actor or actress takes to their career. I think it would generally be easier to be cast in the greatest QUANTITY of roles if you are quite good-looking. I also think you are likely to be cast in GOOD roles if you have the acting chops for it. Note, however, that beauty and acting chops are not exclusive properties.

I think the greatest asset for an actor or actress is being able to make the audience actually care about them.

Well, people often care about people who they understand and can relate to. Now, I know that there are a lot of fat people in the world, specially in America, or so the statistics say. I'm pretty sure they could relate to a less than perfect movie hero and care about him.

But maybe obese people don't like to relate to such characters because they can't admit to themselfs they are not good looking in the first place.

Another great actor comes to mind that never had a great body, Jack Nicholson, he has your everyday beer-belly even. Now think of the number of grown up men out there that can relate to his apperance, probably 80%, because most people in their 50's na 60's are not in perfect shape.