Super 8 Spring Break!!!

Kirk Anderson

I'm a film student in SF and i mostly shoot 16mm, with my sekonic light meter attached to my hip. Recently i started playing with 64T and some black and white super 8, which has been pretty awesome. I'm going on spring break next week and I want to bring a super 8 cam to shoot some beach fun, ie girls and maybe just have some stock tropical footage for future projects. I have a Gaf st 110, that has manual exposure, so i light meter and adjust f stops, but it's heavy and i don't want to risk breaking it. I also have a Chinon 132pxl that i picked up at goodwill for 4 dollars, auto exposure and 18fps, perfect for messing around and not too worried if it gets dropped in the ocean. I'm worried about not using a light meter and using auto exposure, but i don't want to break or lose my $400 sekonic light meter on spring break. Is there any way I can shoot 64T accurately with the chinon? If not, what is the best Black and White Stock to shoot on the beach, on a sunny day in mexico?

My options are:

1)64T

2)kodak 7265 Plus X reversal, El 100 daylight

3)Kodak 7266 EL 200 daylight

Whats my best bet for this dinky super 8 and some fun in the sun in Rosarito?

Edited by Kircules

I won't comment about the girls :P

However, I do own one of the same Chinons, so I will give a word of warning. I used that camera to shoot B-Roll for a documentary project. However, the weather was really hot, and the rubber eyecup almost instantaneously turned to goop. It slimed all over the viewfinder and back of the camera. (I still have to find a good way to clean it off...)

So I would recommend you remove the eyecup before taking the camera anywhere hot. (I know that some rubber will go bad no matter what, but the heat really seemed to accelerate the process) :blink:

This camera is an XL, so it lets in a lot of light. I shot Tri-X in deeply wooded Vermont, and got great exposures. For a sunny beach I would take Plus-X, and maybe an ND screwed onto the lens.

Dave

Edited by David W Scott