Rear Projection for Poor Man's

James West

A director and I wish to use rear projection for Day Driving scenes. This is primarily a stylistic choice, kind of like the old-school films. I was just wondering if anyone has used this recently and what the current options are. I know there is a vendor who does video rear projection, but I just want to make sure this translates to shooting on film.

Also, I'm just curious if anyone's done green screen for Poor Man's? My thinking is it must be a nightmare having green glares and reflection kicks off the vehicle...

• 5 years later...

Bright enough, bright enough, bright enough. Make sure your rear projection is bright enough. cheaper projectors tend to not be.

you always knock it down, but you can't make it brighter. I usually insist on 10000 lumen projectors for rear projections in shot. It seems a lot, but any wash you get from your front lights reduces it, you just end up needing it. Insufficiently bright rear projection is sort of a heart attack moment of Oh god how come I didn't insist on the brighter one. Get the brightest thing the budget will permit. Or just do a greenscreen behind them if they have the means to put the footage in in post.

Tom Guiney

Gaffer, DP

airboxlights.com inflatable softboxes for litepanels

lighting tips on twitter @airboxlights

Both rear projection and green screen are quite common for poor man's.

keys to rear projection are the brightest projector available, budget and access.

green screen as large as you can get so you are far enough away to reduce backsplash.