unsyncing the Arri SRIII to look like a bolex?

JONATHANEDWARDS

I am woundering if anyone has ever tryed this,

i think i am knid of crazy for comeing up with this but

i would like to be able to have a SRIII vary in speed as i am shooting to create kind of a slow pulseing in the image. is there some sort of ext sync device available that could help. or even something in the software in the camera that will help ocilate the speed

i also had a shot were i wanted to do some ramping but not shure i have the technolagy to acomplash that

i wounder how i ever made it with out spellcheck ??

Unfortatley i can't use a bolex because a large scene is shot on a steadi cam so i need the video tap. as well my choice of glass flavour grows vary unpleaseing ( film group equipment ) i was thinking i could beg for this device from a rental house, as there is a lot of nice people working there but i am not shure what to ask for

or any other little tricks , this is just the one i came up with. there may be a better way

i am also thinking of createing the effect useing a optical printer. but i for see some pitfalls in opticaly printing the hole thing and just thinking of the time involved makes me yaaawn

thanks in advance

Arri makes the RCU or Remote Control Unit that allowes to program ramps in speed and shutter. The SR3 should be compatible with it.

also check if you can find a tiny camera you can screw on the viewfinder of the Bolex.

Of course you will have to choose between viewfinder or videotap in this case.

I use a black n' white CCTV "lipstick" camera simply taped well to the Bolex eyepiece for a video tap, (looks a bit strange but works for non critical framing etc...) I use a 12mm lens one as my cam is S16 and it fits the frame perfectly, It plugs into my Mini DV cam which I can use as a monitor and even record the sequence! Very cheap but quite effective

olly

I use a black n' white CCTV "lipstick" camera simply taped well to the Bolex eyepiece for a video tap, (looks a bit strange but works for non critical framing etc...) I use a 12mm lens one as my cam is S16 and it fits the frame perfectly, It plugs into my Mini DV cam which I can use as a monitor and even record the sequence! Very cheap but quite effective

olly

i feel kind of kool

i will have a operator on this shoot. so i don't think puting a camera in the eye pice will work unless theres a way to make some kind or mirror so we see a viewfinder and a camera in the same plane ? humm thats a thought

thank you vary much i had not thought of that , i wounder how well it works

thanks rachel

does anyone know if that controler will oclate,

That's a pretty sorry Bolex you'd be emulating. Well one with a bad spring motor will slow down but....

The Arri RCU or CE controller should work - if I understand your intention you don't want exposure compensation, as you said "pulsing"

An Arri S with VS motor is great for this, it's just like a motorcycle B)

-Sam

well i have seen some sad bolex's, i am surprised a lot of them even work. and then oddly some work like a charm (the cruse of film schools i think )

i quess i would be trying to imulate a old hand wound camera , and not a bolex

i am now hopeing to achive this effect with the arri ccu so we will see, i will post the results

thanks eveyone

• 2 weeks later...