eliminating camera noise

Alex Ardenti

I've been told by a firend who has a sound recording facility that it shouldn't be too hard to eliminate any noise from my Beaulieu R16. I will get a barney for it and will shoot with a longer lens but I am afraid there might still be a hum, at least.

Anyone have any experience in this? I plan on shooting my first feature soon.

Thanks. This forum is the best.

Alex

www.alexardenti.com

Noise reduction software, CoolEdit 2000 or Sound Forge+ plugins. Combine this with the stuff your already planning on doing and you should be OK. Long lenses are going to limit you a little so you may try some short lenses w/ a barney, a freni pad and sound reduction and see how bad it comes out. You may be surprised to learn you're still OK.

Edited by Capt.Video

Noise reduction software, CoolEdit 2000 or Sound Forge+ plugins. Combine this with the stuff your already planning on doing and you should be OK. Long lenses are going to limit you a little so you may try some short lenses w/ a barney, a freni pad and sound reduction and see how bad it comes out. You may be surprised to learn you're still OK.

What's a freni pad?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to take the contrary view here, and say that you probably are NOT going to be OK.

I shot a feature with a noisy camera (blimped, similar to the suggestions above), and it damn near ruined the entire film.

I've heard the R16, and it's one noisy beast. Anyone above who hasn't actually heard THIS camera, you should think again about your advice.

Much of the noise is right in the usable audio range of the human voice, so once you filter for the camera noise, you get the "everyone's talking into a pillow" effect, and you STILL will hear the camera noise.

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt. I'll never again shoot with a noisy camera.

That's why I got a CP-16R camera.

Really, really quiet. I know you don't want to hear this, but if your project is important at all, you should get a quieter camera.

The CP can be had with lens, batteries, mags, etc. for under $2K fairly easily, maybe even less.

MP

I'm going to take the contrary view here, and say that you probably are NOT going to be OK.

I shot a feature with a noisy camera (blimped, similar to the suggestions above), and it damn near ruined the entire film.

I've heard the R16, and it's one noisy beast. Anyone above who hasn't actually heard THIS camera, you should think again about your advice.

Much of the noise is right in the usable audio range of the human voice, so once you filter for the camera noise, you get the "everyone's talking into a pillow" effect, and you STILL will hear the camera noise.

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt. I'll never again shoot with a noisy camera.

That's why I got a CP-16R camera.

Really, really quiet. I know you don't want to hear this, but if your project is important at all, you should get a quieter camera.

The CP can be had with lens, batteries, mags, etc. for under $2K fairly easily, maybe even less.

MP

Where do you suggest I get one?

Alex

www.alexardenti.com

Just do ADR in post production

You say that as if it's not adding 100's of extra hours of paid studio time to the production, and that assems that your actors can do this... many can't, as I found out the hard way...

Alex, I got my CP-16 from a great guy named Barry Green, of Fiercely Independent Pictures in Las Vegas.

I'm not sure if he still deals in them or not.

You can get them on ebay, but just be prepared to have them significantly serviced, as most of these have a lot of miles on them. You may be able to pick one up & put a couple to a few hundred into it, and have a killer camera though.

And they're damn near dead quiet, take 400 foot mags, and there are some great lenses out there for them. I have a nice Canon 12-120 and a set of CP Ultra Primes that are sharp as anything.

Give Paul Hillman a call at Visual Products and see if they have any, or if he knows of any for sale. He's the guy you want servicing your camera, by the way. He's a spectacular tech, near genius, I'd say.

MP