The extent of my knowledge about the characteristics of motion picture Film (celluloid) has come from reading books and observing working professionals. I have been shooting still photography for years and I am now anxious to learn cinematography.

So my "newbie" question is this: Is it possible to outfit a 35mm SLR camera with 35mm motion picture film stock? I do understand that moving picture frames require different skills to handle shutter angle, DoF and so on. However, for right now, I am only interested in exploring how different film stocks react to different lighting scenarios and light values. I want to experiment without the ?motion? properties for right now. I am not going to spend money for an entire roll of film stock. Perhaps a very small spool of short end film will work.

Also, if possible how would I compensate for aspect ratio? Perhaps there is a focusing screen made for this very intent.

Lastly, using cine lenses are a must. Are there any mounts available that that will attach to a SLR camera?

Thank you and I look forward to some feedback.

Uriah Ocean Peterson

uriahocean@netzero.net

I have just found a thread on this very topic in an other post. But I still look forward to your expertise.

uriah ocean Peterson

Edited by ocean

As you wrote there was a similar topic, so i think you have read about the differences in perforation and the care that needs to be taken when processing motion picture stock.

There are devices for still photographers to load 35mm film from large rolls into those little plastic things used in still cameras. You should be able to get one of those cheap on eBay.

Exposure time in cinematography is referred to by the shutter angle the camera is set to. You can calculate this by multiplying 360° with the frame rate and then dividing the shutter angle by what came out of this. Example: Your frame rate are 25 fps and your shutter angle is set to 180° -> 180° : (25 x 360°) = 1/50s

There are some special cameras modified to accept motion picture lenses, but i don't understand why you would need this. Divide your still camera focal length by two and you have the focal length that would by needed on a 35mm movie camera to get you the same framing.

you can put some scotch tape to the viewfinder of your still camera.

I hope this was understandable.

• Premium Member
There are some special cameras modified to accept motion picture lenses, but i don't understand why you would need this. Divide your still camera focal length by two and you have the focal length that would by needed on a 35mm movie camera to get you the same framing.

Half Frame PL Mount Still Camera

You would want to use a camera like this is so you can get even closer to the look you're testing by using the lenses you're shooting with. My EF mount Canon 50mm looks nice, but it doesnt look the same as a cooke or a zeiss.