cleanin up gain noise in post?

Hi,

I've just shot (mini DV / XL1) a short in a noir style, low lighting and shafts of light/colour, the problem is that to get the look and intensity of light & colour i wanted with the limited lighting & space I had, i ended up using the gain on Auto (actually by accident, I'm still learning the cam)when I realised I made adjustments to the lighting conditions and tried to get the same look with out the gain which was impossible as F1.6 was still to dark and I tried to use the AE shift to compensate, but it was just to dark so I decided to go back to my original settings and go for a consistent look throughout the film - the rushes look beautiful except it's kinda grainy - is there anything I can do in post to clean that up??

Thanks

• Premium Member
Hi,

I've just shot (mini DV / XL1) a short in a noir style, low lighting and shafts of light/colour, the problem is that to get the look and intensity of light & colour i wanted with the limited lighting & space I had, i ended up using the gain on Auto (actually by accident, I'm still learning the cam)when I realised I made adjustments to the lighting conditions and tried to get the same look with out the gain which was impossible as F1.6 was still to dark and I tried to use the AE shift to compensate, but it was just to dark so I decided to go back to my original settings and go for a consistent look throughout the film - the rushes look beautiful except it's kinda grainy - is there anything I can do in post to clean that up??

Thanks

Not very easily, especially since the AGC would be changing gain levels constantly within shots. You might try a very slight gaussian blur followed by an unsharp mask to sharpen it back up. That might do the trick without ruining your picture.