DSR 450WS - 2 types of 24p pulldown

Jac Chesson

• Premium Member

Hi Jac: Adam Wilt has a good discussion on his website concerning 24p and 24pA shooting modes. The DSR-450WSL is one of many camcorders which include these features:

http://www.adamwilt.com/24p/index.html#24pRecording

Also, as a side note, you'd typically use a 1/48-sec. shutter with 24p and 24pA to simulate the motion look of a film camera running at 24fps with a 180-degree shutter. If, instead, the shutter is turned off (the equivalent of a 1/24-sec. shutter in 24p & 24pA mode) motion video will smear/blur slightly.

I've looked at the manual on the 450WS and I'm not clear on the visual differences between the two types of pulldown options available. Can anyone help?

I just finished my first "true" 24P DVD and on my DSR-450 I used the "regular" 24P mode with NDF, 1/48th shutter, film gamma, and captured in Premiere Pro using the "Panasonic 24P" preset. The DVD (authored in Encore) looks positively awesome! I see no reason to use the advanced pulldown.

Dave Hall

Gentlemen,

Thank you both for the information. I appreciate the help.

I've been using the regular 24p mode for nearly all of my projects, but I didn't want to be missing out if the advanced mode looked a lot better. The way I read it, unless I'm doing a film out or need to print out each frame, I don't really need the advanced mode.

Peter, thank you for the Adam Wilt link (very informative!) and Dave, thanks for your perspective and congratulations on your first true 24p DVD.

The 450 really is a great camera, period.