Question for john

I am producing a feature on a very meager budget (around 30K) and am finding it difficult to plan, knowing that everything will have a maximum of 4 takes. This is my first film shot on actaul film, and so in that sense I am a student (arent we all) and I will have PAs from the local college doing internship, so they too will be students. I am sure this is not enough to get a student discount.

The question I have is who can I talk to to get som sort of discount on the film. even if its a meager discount. I would be buying up to 100 400ft reels of 16mm film, so the order is large. I was quoted 140/reel, but that was through the main sales of kodak.

I dont want to do short ends or buy backs, as instability in the films performance is completely unacceptable.

So my question, and Im sure that john can answer better than most, What options are there for me to save a bit of money. (its not actually saving money, I have a set budget for film, its more like how can I get the most reels for the money) Is kodak interested in extending discounts to first-time film makers? would they be interested in doing a partnership in the film, whereby they can recoup the cost of the discound and a bit more, assuming we can make a profit (what movie cant make 30K?) would kodak be interested in giving discounts in exchange for advertisement at premieres and public showings (IE, during the premiere we put up kodak banners everywhere, and do media interviews with the kodak logo promently featured at the junket) I know a lot of media types, and given the level of production in alaska, this will get a lot of attention in town, and those would in turn be seen by tourist visiting, who coincidently will need to choose between kodak and fuji when they go to the keni fijords.

I know these questions cannot be answered fully, without kodak knowing the full scope of my project, but is this worth my time to seek out. I have heard john talk about several departments who would be responsible for giving discounts like this, is there a department or a person in particular I can talk to and see what can be done. Even a $10 discount per reel would mean I can order 5 or 6 more reels.

Any ideas?

You want to talk to the Kodak Rep for your area. They have two main offices:

Hollywood

New York City

I'd say to pick the closest to you. I've dealt with the Rep in Hollywood and she's great. Just call and ask to speak to the Rep in charge of the motion-picture imaging. Tell him/her what you're trying to do. Just be real, sincere, and yourself. You won't have to gravel. You'll find that they'll give you some sort of discount over anything else. They aren't set up or interested in business deals and such, after all they are a big corporation designed for Hollywood and large entertainment movie production.

The reason they would be interested in helping is in hopes that if you or those around you continue to make films you will do it on film and buy from them. I would approach it from the perspective of someone new to film wanting to learn film and shoot film. In a sense by providing you a discount they are investing in the future of their product.

Hope that helps.

• Premium Member

As Tornsprocket mentioned, the best way to explore the discounts available to you are to talk directly to your local Kodak sales/technical representative. The main US Kodak Entertainment Imaging sales offices are in New York City and Hollywood, although there are regional representatives who travel and help customers throughout the country.

Where are you located?

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/about/ww...d=0.1.4.5&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/students...d=0.1.4.3&lc=en

• Premium Member
Anchorage, Alaska. I doubt you have many reps comming up here (our major film productions per year can be counted on less than one finger) But I will call the hollywood rep.

Happily, I and a few other Kodak folks are likely to be in Anchorage this fall for the Association of Moving Image Archivists (AMIA) convention. B) But give a call to the office in Hollywood, who support the entire west coast, including Alaska.