Interview

I am shooting an interview in 35mm indoors during the day (may be some mixed light with light coming in from windows). Firstly, which stock should I go with? I am assuming tungsten balanced, but which stock is best with a mixed light situation. Also could anyone offer up some interesting lighting schemes that I might try with a fairly simple package? Nothing too crazy, but was just wondering if anyone had any cool ideas to try.

Thanks!

Dave

• Premium Member

Daylight balanced stocks tend to handle mixed color temperatures a little better than tungsten stocks, but you'll still have to color-balance your lighting. Usually you choose a stock based on the "look" you want and the sensitivity you need. With a small lighting package you're best served with stock in the 200-500 ASA range. Lots of choices there depending on the look and finish.

As far as lighting, I don't think anyone here could recommend a specific look without knowing something about the piece you're doing, who the subject is, and how the interview fits into the overall program.

But in general with talking head-style interviews I try to find interesting and appropriate settings, and try to light as simply and naturally as possible. Usually it's some form of soft key from a slightly side-ish angle, and a soft, gentle "return" edge- or back-light. I try to provide some contrast in the background for depth, but nothing that calls undue attention to itself. The idea is to make the viewer pay attention to the subject, not the lighting.