Is there a Telecine to look for?

chomiczewski

• Premium Member

Generally, you get what you pay for in a transfer. The latest telecine technology and "boxes", and the most skilled colorist generally command the highest price. The advances in technology over the last few years can easily be seen by comparing earlier transfers to the latest transfer of the same movies.

• Premium Member

If it's 16mm I'd go for the Spirit, it beats all the CRT scanners hands down

on that format. For 35mm, it's not as important - they all do a good job there.

Most importantly - get a good colorist. It's worth some extra bucks.

• Premium Member
If it's 16mm I'd go for the Spirit, it beats all the CRT scanners hands down

on that format.

The Thomson Spirit telecines use Kodak technology for the scanning:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products/v2/sehlin04.shtml

Which won an Emmy in 1998:

Philips Digital Video Systems

Eastman Kodak's Spirit DataCine

Awarded to Michael Broesamle, Uwe Braehler, Volker Massmann and Wolfgang Steinebach of Philips Digital Video Systems and Arthur J. Cosgrove, Andrew F. Kurtz, Roger T. Lees and Leslie G. Moore of Eastman Kodak for the design and manufacture of the industry-standard high-definition digital telecine.

The Spirit DataCine Film Scanner is a joint development between Philips Digital Video Systems and Eastman Kodak. The combination of the Advanced Imaging Head from Eastman, and the precision transport mechanisms and high-speed digital signal processing developed by Philips, has resulted in a new benchmark for high-quality film transfers in both standard-definition and high-definition video standards and high-speed data scanning.

• Premium Member

Any comments on the Cintel C-reality? I saw that the recent Sundance grand jury prize winner, Primer, was shot on S16 and transferred via C-reality...

chomiczewski, the only reliable place i know of in Chicago is Film and Tapeworks...

Best,

theturnaround

• 2 weeks later...
Any comments on the Cintel C-reality?

I did a (16mm OCN) session today with one for the first time. I'm a happy camper :D

A little different than Spirit, if its BMW vs Mercedes, I'd pick the best driver (colorist)..

I like the way it handled contrasty material.

I suspect with a good colorist & full blown Davinci or Pogle, you could likely get quite close to the look of one by the other....

-Sam