Support bars/ follow focus on a CP-16

Michael Collier

I havent gotten a hold of the camera yet to see it up close, but I know I want a follow focus. The complex blocking and camera work I have planned pretty much nessecitates a folowfocus. What options do I have for mounting some 15mm bars and a followfocus? I need a cheap follow, so I will probably buy one used, but the support is what I am worried about. From pictures I see no mounting point. Uness a box mounts between the camera and tripod plate.

Anyone who know more than me feel free to chime in.

Yes, you're right. The support bracket mounts on the bottom of the camera. Cinema Products called it Studio Jig. It had a tripod plate, dove tail plate, support bars, matte box, and follow focus. A zoom controler could also be mounted. It sold for $2,500 in 1980.

I am interested in a unit myself, but my guess is there isn't too many complete units around, and they would be expensive.

I don't know of any aftermarket jig that would work.

One other option would be to have a camera plate and 15mm rods made by a repair facilty, or even a machine shop.

You can get a simple universal baseplate with frontrods. The rod mount is adjustable both vertically and horizontally. The plate mounts between the camera and the tripod plate. Several manufacturers make them, including Cavision.