Startup Video Camera

Gino Terribilini

My cousin is looking to buy a new camera sometime soon and is considering buying an XL2. I would like some opinions as to whether or not this is a wise decision based on the fact that there are several other great cameras for about the same price. I have only used the DVX100 and an XL1s, so I have very little experience with video cameras. What would you advise him to get?

Depends on what he wants to do. Does he need 16:9? then the XL2's the way to go. If not, I'd get a DVX100. The DVX100 is reputed to be a little easier to get a good image out of, but the XL2 is supposed to give you ultimately more control over your image if you know what you're doing. I know a guy who is shooting a feature on the XL2, and his experience (the DP is more familiar with the DVX) would seem to bear this out. Me personally, at this stage I'd be looking at HDV or better.

• 1 month later...
Guest Doug718

I'd say try to find something that is used as a beginner camera if you're just starting and don't need HD or anything. Alot of people moving to HD are unloading their old miniDV standard def stuff. I'd wait to get a new 3CCD HDV camera for a little while unless you need it now. Try to pick up something like the JVC-DV500U or something similar.

Pour the money you save into better lighting equipment or computer editing stuff.