Night Interior (classroom)

I say my problem briefly.

Our location is a classroom.

In the classroom there are many students studying at night.

The only practical source is fluorescents on the ceiling.

The exposure is enough but I worry that the look is too flat.

There are only white blank walls.

I want some texture.

We have only Fresnels-2Ks, 1Ks...

Any opinion would be thanks!

Use the fluorescents, but flag them slightly so they don't strike the wall. Do this by taping duvetyn to the ceiling on either side of the light. That will create a little separation between the subjects and the walls. You could then find a motivated reason for light coming through the windows- maybe a streetlight, maybe a soft blue light for your purkinje effect.

• Premium Member

I would suggest turning off the fluorescents that are closest to the walls. Do this either by pulling out the tubes (some electrics won't do this because it can cause harm to the ballast if left on with no tube for long periods of time) or flagging them. Next, I'd get some tungsten kino tubes for the rest of the fluoros and gel some of them with them with 1/2 CTB to give an overall blue fill. Then key the room from some of the windows with light that's motivated by orange sodium vapor lights.

I agree with Chris on this. If you must leave some tubes on, make a teaser around the fixtures with Duvatine so they cut off the walls. Other than that Sodium Vapor with 1/4 CTO and Bastard Amber should look nice. Then bring a poop-ton of flags and start making harsh cuts. Think about your blocking and action, where there is more action light more. You want to think about creating depth in the frame by adding light and then balancing with darkness.

Cheers,

Eric U.

http://www.ericulbrich.com