HOW TO SHOOT BATTLE SCENES WITH MULTI-CAMERA

Hello, friends!

I search for the information and the literature on - how to shoot correctly with multi-camera method (especially battle scenes).....

1. correct layout of cameras (arrangement - what to shoot - long-shot, close-up e.t.c.)

2. organization of shooting (sequence)

For example - battle scenes in Lord of the Rings - may be you know??

Thank you (and sorry for my bad English:)

• 3 weeks later...
For example - battle scenes in Lord of the Rings - may be you know??

You can start by doing everything in CG if you want THAT look. Sorry, I am just really bitter about how the production of all three LOTR relied too heavily on a technology that is "not all there" yet, and no one even cared about that...I think it's a crime to rely so heavily on CG at this point, but seeing as how most of the characters and scenes would be REALLY hard to create without CG, I can uderstand why it was done.

If you want to see some good battle shooting, an excellent movie for that was Braveheart. I'm not sure what they did, but merely watching it might give you alot of insight into it

Shoot multiple cameras. Let the battle run it's course and shoot it like it is real. Think longer lenses. Have the actors keep it safe so they don't get hurt or tired. Then recreate smaller more manageable areas where the drama takes place.

The CG ideas can probably be found elsewhere with greater authority but for the battlefield action, you should study Billy Bitzer/D.W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation for starts. I agree with Bob about multiple cameras and longer lenses. Another refreshing idea is to shorten your shutter angles and altering frame rates. Study Michael Ballhouse/Martin Scorsese's Gangs of New York for those ideas. John Matheson/Riddley Scotts's Gladiator also does great things with frame rates and shutter angles. Re stage a few close up shots to cut in. Some interesting POV's that depict the horror of war is always poiniant.