nikon r8 - technical problems

Jiekai Liao

I just bought a Nikon R8 in ebay for 150 dollars. Just recieved it today. I put in 6 new AA batteries and tried to run the camera (dry. without footage), nothing happened. I tried to use the power zoom, some times it works, some times it doesn't. At times, the battery casing (the hand grip) got really really hot.

I left it aside for a while, and tried running it again. now it only power zooms out, but not in. And I can only run the camera when I hold on to the zoom out button while depressing the camera trigger. which is really weird.

I left it aside for a while again. And now it runs fine. but still cannot power zoom in. and occasionally, after cooling down, I cannot run it again properly.

What is wrong with the camera? Is it a problem of age? is such temperamental behavior normal for an old super 8 camera? need some advice :-p

iakeij

• Premium Member

I'll ask the most simple question first, are you absolutely sure you have correct polarity on each and every battery you put into the handle?

I would not leave the batteries in the handle at this point in time.

• Premium Member
The polarities of the batteries are absolutely correct. The camera is absolutely dead now, cant even run at all. Guess I have to send it to repair a day after getting it :-(

The batteries are probably damaged at this point, but even if you put in new batteries and the camera worked as it did when you first got it, the problem you describe would still exist and would still need to be repaired.

I don't know if it is wise to at least know if the camera will power up by putting in a new set of batteries because whatever was wrong before will still be wrong now and could do more harm. Check the voltage of each battery to see if any of the batteries have been noticeably drained.