Helicopters & the F900

Jonny Kerr

• Premium Member

A query to throw out there...

A company I know shooting hi-def lost £50,000 or thereabouts on a shoot due to severe noise on all the rushes tapes from a helicopter shoot. Quite why nobody played-back the first tape is beyond me. Anyhow, the gamers couldn't digitise the stuff and they had to reshoot. What would cause noise to go to tape on the F900 on a Westcam setup in a helicopter. Electrical interference or something more sinister? I'm not experienced when it comes to helicopter rigging or technicalities. Experience would be gratefully recieved....

Were you on the shoot? Can you describe the noise?

There is a dodgy gimbal based in Europe (disowned by wescam as it was written off or adapted so the rumour goes!) that has had a history of HD reshoots, wonder if it was the same one?

HD Aerial advice in general

Noise and interference in blacks can be hard to spot without proper monitoring but usually turn out to be a monitoring issue as the f900 is pretty tolerant to RF interference. Monitoring in helicopters is notoriously inadequate unless the company is a HD friendly outfit who understands they need to do more than rent a camera and a small monitor to operate a HD camera remotely.

But like a lot of kit noise can be introduced if has a very dirty power feed from the chopper that is contaminated with aircraft comms or if camera is being powered by a cheap/dodgy DC to DC convertor.

The QA 101 for electrical interference is to be able to check back footage with recorder and monitor on battery and so completly disconnected from aircraft systems.

In general run on batts not aircraft power.

The only interference I've had on aerial f900 was a little interference when flying too close to a transmitter tower.

I am a fan of the cineflex V14 gimbal, which incidentally once had its own set of black noise issues, unrelated to aircraft system interference but now fixed.

Mike Brennan

• 9 months later...