Jammed Nizo 6080 Focus Ring

sattch

Picked up a Nizo 6080 off eBay. Everything is in working order, except, the focus ring will not turn. It's jammed at infinity. Am I missing an infinity lock, or switch? Or do I have to take the lens apart?

I'm on a tight schedule, so help ASAP!!!!

thanks;)

p.s. any chance anyone could repost this for me on filmshooting.com? can't login for some reason.

• Premium Member
Picked up a Nizo 6080 off eBay. Everything is in working order, except, the focus ring will not turn. It's jammed at infinity. Am I missing an infinity lock, or switch? Or do I have to take the lens apart?

I'm on a tight schedule, so help ASAP!!!!

thanks;)

p.s. any chance anyone could repost this for me on filmshooting.com? can't login for some reason.

You stated the focus was locked, that doesn't sound good. However if in any way the issue is related to the zoom lens itself you can check the following.

Many Nizos have a lens release ring that unlocks the zoom so that it can work in manual mode. The release ring butts up where the lens meets the camera. You gently turn the release ring to lock and unlock the motorized zoom mechanism. When the release ring is in the locked position it means the power zoom function is engaged and the zoom only works via the power zoom buttons, when the release ring is in the "unlocked" position one can zoom the lens in and out by manual means only.

Was the camera properly packed during shipping? If there is lens damage some times one can see some type of dent on the outer lens flange.

Thanks for the fast response, Alessandro!

Already tried the zoom release, no luck. Also found so signs of damage to the lens to indicate a hard hit. I slipped a piece of paper between the focus ring and lens body, but found no obstructions.

Trying to take apart the lens, but only found one small screw at the front of the lens. Removed it, nothing came off and the focus is still stuck.

Well no solution, but it definitely looks jammed:

DSC01039.jpg

Looks like it the lens may have been banged from below. Seeing as it's a lost cause, should i use brute strength to unjam? Or is this something a camera store could fix? Thanks!!

• Premium Member
Well no solution, but it definitely looks jammed:

DSC01039.jpg

Looks like it the lens may have been banged from below. Seeing as it's a lost cause, should i use brute strength to unjam? Or is this something a camera store could fix? Thanks!!

If it was a shipping issue I would notify the seller, send them a link to this topic thread, and if I were you I'd look for another option for your upcoming project.

Some type of impact caused the lens to buckle in the manner that it did, it looks like the outer lens flange held firm and as a result an internal part of the camera lens gave way instead.

I hope you have another option for your shoot. Please let us know how the camera was packed when it was shipped to you as the shipping of cameras seems to be one of the most common ways cameras get damaged.

Shipping was fine - seller bubble wrapped the hell out of it. I suppose if there was some really strong blunt force to the package it could cause some damage, but then the box would have shown signs of it, which it doesn't.

I also went back to the auction and noticed that, in the photos, the focus ring is set to infinity. Quality of the picture isn't great, but I can definitely make out that it's in the infinity position.

The camera is listed as used in the eBay Item Description, but this defect was never disclosed, nor was the camera declared as broken or parts, or the sale as 'as is'. I know buyer beware and all, but there has to be some limits there. Think I got grounds for complaint to eBay or Paypal, or chargeback from the credit card company?

But all that aside, anyone know how to get this lens out of the body and taken apart?

Thanks!

** Oh yeah, I have three other nizos to pick from, and will use my 481 m for the shoot.

Edited by sattch

• Premium Member

"As is" is no excuse for the seller to not disclose something that is OBVIOUSLY wrong.

One common Ebay sellers trick is to say "have not powered up the unit, sold as is".

But one doesn't need to power up the camera to note that the focus is frozen and the lens has been smashed. Ebay has a $200.00 refund offer (minus I think it's $25.00), I would look into that, especially if you can get a repair facility to send you an estimate.

If the camera was won by you for next to nothing then I would not bother to complain as something in the description put people off from buying the camera. If the auction actually enticed buyers to bid, then I would contact the seller and eBay and see what your recourses are. Also if you paid more than a hundred bucks (including shipping) for the camera, I'd would contact the seller and mention the problem with the lens and contact eBay about a partial refund.

"As is" does not indemnify the seller from mentioning obvious problems that are visible or observable by simply holding the camera in one's hands.

Yeah, it's kind of effed if the guy did knowly try to fraud me.

I've threatened the seller with EBay/PayPal and credit card actions. He responded by saying that the camera is fine and that I'm missing some switch or something, and to check the manual. The only thing I can think of is an infinity lock for using an UWIII attachment. Anyone?

• Premium Member
Yeah, it's kind of effed if the guy did knowly try to fraud me.

I've threatened the seller with EBay/PayPal and credit card actions. He responded by saying that the camera is fine and that I'm missing some switch or something, and to check the manual. The only thing I can think of is an infinity lock for using an UWIII attachment. Anyone?

The lens looks crooked to me. Have the seller look at the picture you posted on this topic thread.

I have a Nizo and have helped a friend buy a Nizo, I'd say this seller was deceptive. It's one thing to not know if the camera shoots properly, it's another to sell it knowing that the ring doesn't move. I say this as I've sold equipment on ebay. If you have a camera that you're going to sell, it's only natural that you'd play with it, turning and pressing things just for the sake of it while it is sitting there and you are entering the information on ebay. Anyone who has a camera sitting around will just pick it up and play around with it. In my opinion you definately got taken.

I'd really press this seller by using his pictures and you're pictures. Even take them into photoshop or the like and draw arrows, etc. to show him. Don't let him off the hook. I'd go so far as to report and do anything to get my money back. It's totally shitty.

That's my opinion at least.

So, went ahead with the dissassemble. First pulled off the rubber ring, unscrewed the five screws. The focus ring turned, but the glass element did not move.

Then I decided to remove the lens altogether. Not as hard as one may imagine. Removed both faces on each side, and three screws hold the lens in. Unscrewed them, pulled out lens. Took the lens apart, which is much easier than I thought. Pulled off the zoom ring, then pulled off the focus ring.

On close inspection, the outer ring isn't the problem. The focal element itself is jammed in at an angle. Whatever metal ring the focal element slides on inside the lens is now warped and damaged by the jump. Even if I could force the focal element back onto that ring, I doubt I'd ever get good sharp focus. Plus, taking apart a zoom lens may be easy, but they are a pain to put back together. I'll post some pictures tonight of all the fun.

At this point, I'm getting a good (and fair) amount of money back. In the end, I have a wide angle lens, a 6080 body, two extra batt boxes and a leather carrying case, plus a pretty good idea of how a zoom lens works.

I'll start a new thread soon on trying to attach a new lens, or a lens mount for primes.....

• Premium Member

Thanks for updating this topic!

I'm not a lens expert but it appears your picture of the lens revealed the problem.

Some type of impact caused the lens to buckle in the manner that it did, it looks like the outer lens flange held firm and as a result an internal part of the camera lens gave way instead.

I think using the camera as a wide angle camera only is a clever idea for getting some use out of the camera but it will probably frustrate you as well because you'll rarely be able to solo with the camera, you'll always need a second camera when you shoot "just in case". Perhaps a lens "expert" could repair the damage?