Good video tripods

Mike Kaminski

Well, really I'm starting this thread because i might have to be buying a tripod+head for video. Can anyone recommend a good tripod that can be purchased for under $1000? It'll only be used with a dvx100 so nothing too extraordinary is needed, but still something sturdy and with a nice smooth head.

Anyway, what are peoples favourite tripod for video use? I havent seen any discussion around here for video-oriented camera support.

Bogens 501 head is pretty nice as far as smoothness goes. I think they are only like 3-400 dollars. I have them mounted on 3036 legs, but I dont really like those legs bc it doesnt have a ball level.

I agree. I have a Bogan as well and couldnt be happier. Although i use it for a little heavier camera than the DVX, but it should work well with it.

I bought a manfrotto video tripod kit recently. It consists of a 503 head and 575 aluminium legs with spreaders and a padded case! The head is fantastic and designed to take a weight of up to 8 kilos (so more than sufficient for most high end dv/hd cameras)

I only paid 360 of my hard earnt UK pound sterling - a steal!

hope this is helpful.

regards ben.

Guest TVTim

I just purchased a smaller tripod for my PD150.

Vinton Pro 6 - $1000 NZ (Around $600 US?)

It has a light on the levelling bubble which is nice to see in a chaeper tripod.

Seems pretty good.

• Premium Member
Well, really I'm starting this thread because i might have to be buying a tripod+head for video. Can anyone recommend a good tripod that can be purchased for under $1000? It'll only be used with a dvx100 so nothing too extraordinary is needed, but still something sturdy and with a nice smooth head.

Anyway, what are peoples favourite tripod for video use? I havent seen any discussion around here for video-oriented camera support.

Hi,

Try Cartoni Focus. Its a fantastic tripod and head slightly over your budget but one of the best heads I have ever used. Like a mini Oconner 2060!

Stephen

Mike,

I'd recommend the Vinten Pro 6 and the Cartoni, in that order. It is all a very personal choice. See if you can get to a local dealer and try them out with your camera. Most dealers will be glad to help you. If they aren't, walk away.

Good Luck,

Bill

I've used the Cartoni Focus and I own a Manfrotto 519. Both are excellent and well worth the extra money over the 501/503 Bogens.

As for the tripod, I've been using an old O'Connor 100mm tripod with a step down ring and I love it. It's heavy and very stable, but I go to lighter weight 75mm sticks if I'm running around a lot.

As Bill said, it's a personal choice. Whatever works for you.