paying the rent

Leslie Farquharson

Hello. I'm registered to attend Los Angeles City College's Cinema Program starting in the Fall of 2006. I'd like to specialize in cinematography. My question is: How does one pay the rent? Is it possible to find steady work in the film industry when you have to climb the camera crew ladder? I have the feeling that I will have to live a 'double life' as a English teacher (current job) and find film work on the side. How can one transition to full-time film work? Is it even possible?

• Premium Member

Well, production work is rarely "full time" -- you work freelance, project to project, so some years may be busier than others. I probably work only six months total out of the year. So I assume by "full time" you mean "work often enough not to need another part-time job to pay the bills."

Sure it's possible, but it takes time, years of building up credits and contacts. It's like a snowball rolling downhill, gaining momentum and size.

Hello. I'm registered to attend Los Angeles City College's Cinema Program starting in the Fall of 2006. I'd like to specialize in cinematography. My question is: How does one pay the rent? Is it possible to find steady work in the film industry when you have to climb the camera crew ladder? I have the feeling that I will have to live a 'double life' as a English teacher (current job) and find film work on the side. How can one transition to full-time film work? Is it even possible?

Thanks for the reply, Mr. Mullen.