7201 vs 7245 comparison

Hi, I have read about the diffrence in these stocks 7245 being more contrasty and staurated but im looking to see how much of a diffrence there really is and see how 7245 holds up in telecine to digital. Is it too contrasty to get good detail in highlights/shadows. How much is the diffrence really between 7201 and 7245 Im looking for somewhat of a vivid image, deffinetly dont want it to be too flat but also dont want it too look like digital where you cant see a thing in the shadows or highlights. If anyone has stills or a comparison that would be great!

thanks alot

-Jake

• Premium Member
Hi, I have read about the diffrence in these stocks 7245 being more contrasty and staurated but im looking to see how much of a diffrence there really is and see how 7245 holds up in telecine to digital. Is it too contrasty to get good detail in highlights/shadows. How much is the diffrence really between 7201 and 7245 Im looking for somewhat of a vivid image, deffinetly dont want it to be too flat but also dont want it too look like digital where you cant see a thing in the shadows or highlights. If anyone has stills or a comparison that would be great!

thanks alot

-Jake

Kodak does have a comparison demo that was produced to introduce the new 7201. Check with your Kodak technical representative to arrange a viewing:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/about/ne...tFilmDemo.blind

KODAK Tuesday Morning Film Demos

KODAK VISION Color Negative Films

When: Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM PST (1 PM EST)

Where: Kodak Screening Room, Kodak Marketing Building, 6700 Santa Monica Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90038

SW corner of Santa Monica and Las Palmas, two blocks east of Highland Avenue.

Please RSVP: 323-468-1503 or 323-464-6131

Film@11 Lunch@12 Presents:

Film Manufacturing - Behind the Scenes

When:

Tuesday May 16, 2006 11:00 am

Where:

Eastman Kodak Company

329 9th Avenue

(between 3oth & 31st)

New York City

RSVP:

By calling 1.800.863.5787

Coming in June:

What's New in 16 mm Filmmaking

For Super-16, there was a very noticeable reduction in graininess with 7201. Tone scale is a bit lower in contrast, and more neutral through the scale. Color reproduction is more "natural". But the tone and color differences are both within the range of adjustment on modern telecines.

• Premium Member

I don't think the difference between the two is all that dramatic. 45 is a little more saturated and contrasty, but it still transfers well to video. The advantage for 01 would be when shooting in higher-contrast situations where you will be needing to dig out more shadow detail. But otherwise, 45 is fine -- I've shot it in the desert with no problems for telecine.