Insurance on camera equipment

Alex Ardenti

I am talking with a DP about using him and his camera for a spec shoot with a potyential buyer that wants to look at the final product.

The DP says that it is up to the producer to have insurance for his equipment.

He owns his camera but keeps it un-insured because he is telling me that all producers pay for the insurance on his camera for every shoot he does regardless if it is a spec spot or not.

I own several cameras and would never leave the house without my insurance paid up, whether I am using it for myself or I'm hired for a job. Tecnically... my sand bags are insured.

What is the standard procedure with most DPs who own their own cameras? Don't cinematographers insure the cameras they make a living with?

Just trying to learn about the industry and I want to do it the right way.

Thanks for any advice and opinions.

Alex

Guest richcam1

Hey Alex,

I am A DP w/8 cameras. For us owners, as I am sure you know, the insurance we can get is supplemental to the production Co's insurance. Production is responsible for everything! ie: gear, personal injury.... Our policys do not cover us when we or the camera is/are hired to shoot for someone. They cover us we we are not shooting. Our other option is to but full production insurance like a production Co.

I hope your buddy has insurance and isn't telling. I know a sound guy, a great guy, that not long ago had all of his gear ripped off as he had breakfast at a resturant before a shoot. He canciled his insurance "becaue it was a waist" - a total loss.

Prost,

Rich

I am talking with a DP about using him and his camera for a spec shoot with a potyential buyer that wants to look at the final product.

The DP says that it is up to the producer to have insurance for his equipment.

He owns his camera but keeps it un-insured because he is telling me that all producers pay for the insurance on his camera for every shoot he does regardless if it is a spec spot or not.

I own several cameras and would never leave the house without my insurance paid up, whether I am using it for myself or I'm hired for a job. Tecnically... my sand bags are insured.

What is the standard procedure with most DPs who own their own cameras? Don't cinematographers insure the cameras they make a living with?

Just trying to learn about the industry and I want to do it the right way.

Thanks for any advice and opinions.

Alex

Hey Alex,

I am A DP w/8 cameras. For us owners, as I am sure you know, the insurance we can get is supplemental to the production Co's insurance. Production is responsible for everything! ie: gear, personal injury.... Our policys do not cover us when we or the camera is/are hired to shoot for someone. They cover us we we are not shooting. Our other option is to but full production insurance like a production Co.

I hope your buddy has insurance and isn't telling. I know a sound guy, a great guy, that not long ago had all of his gear ripped off as he had breakfast at a resturant before a shoot. He canciled his insurance "becaue it was a waist" - a total loss.

Prost,

Rich

Why would the insurance company not pay him back for the value of his gear ifit was stolen?

• 2 weeks later...

I NEVER trust ANYONE else except myself for my equipment. I thought I had some presentation equipment covered in my equipment trailer. Guess what? The trailer disappeared with all the gear. Insurance man said I was covered because the trailer wasn't parked at my residence or place of business! Scum bag!

I cover myself so I don't have to rely on anyone else.

This is who I am with:

Sharon Emmons

Entertainment Pro Insurance

7441 Aardvark Walks St

Las Vegas, NV 89113

Phone: (702) 639-3997

Fax: (702) 639-3994

Email: sharon@ent-proins.com