bolex pailard vs. nizo 4080 vs. canon xlr

angelina

i am looking for a camera that has a good lens that shoots good in low light and is easy to use.

Do you got any suggestions?

I've checked out the bolex pailard and there are so many kinds and types which do you recommend. Would it serve the purpose of shooting in natural light?

nizo 4080 this seems like great german camera.

canon xlr what about this one.

• Premium Member
i am looking for a camera that has a good lens that shoots good in low light and is easy to use.

Do you got any suggestions?

I've checked out the bolex pailard and there are so many kinds and types which do you recommend. Would it serve the purpose of shooting in natural light?

nizo 4080 this seems like great german camera.

canon xlr what about this one.

You'll receive a more accurate response if you can answer the following, handheld or tripod mounted shots, sync sound or MOS?

Hi, cannot comment on the nikon R8, auto exp requires those 1.35v cell i think. Imi, avoid any nizo sound cameras, unless they come with a full warranty, nizo sound cams have a belt that drives the core or claw, can't remember which, the belt stretches over time, resulting in no claw/core operation. With your budget, look out for that zeiss camera, spend any remaining cash on film stock. Since around 1970ish Bolex super 8 cameras are rebadged eumigs model i think. Not sure which bolex/eumigs if any, can read all the filmstocks speeds in auto mode correctly. Also given your budget either look for a canon 814xls, or perhaps a canon 814xle, i believe the 814xle can read film speeds from 25-400 asa. It you require a very quiet running camera then opt for a fully warranted nizo 4080,6080 etc. What filmstock do you plan to use? Do you require a camera with good slo motion?

• Premium Member
Imi, avoid any nizo sound cameras, unless they come with a full warranty, nizo sound cams have a belt that drives the core or claw, can't remember which, the belt stretches over time, resulting in no claw/core operation.

That hasn't stopped the Toyota Camry from being the most popular sedan several years in a row.

Is a broken belt a deal breaker or is it a relatively simple repair?

I haven't ever suffered that problem with the Nizo - but I would say it would be probably repairable in Germany if that happened (there are some specailsts there) although I personally would take the risk - I recently bought a 4080 - used to own a 6080 but sold it - foolishly!

Matt

the four nizo 4000 series cameras and one intergral 5 i have purchased all suffered with the belt problem, i took a look inside the 4056 and 4080, changing the belt looked to difficult to change, best left to a pro. Tried to change the belt in the int 5, ended up wrecking the camera. imo the belt problem is a deal breaker, its a job a repairer will have to undertake, added exspense

Edited by k25rip

• Premium Member
the four nizo 4000 series cameras and one intergral 5 i have purchased all suffered with the belt problem, i took a look inside the 4056 and 4080, changing the belt looked to difficult to change, best left to a pro. Tried to change the belt in the int 5, ended up wrecking the camera. imo the belt problem is a deal breaker, its a job a repairer will have to undertake, added exspense

What became of your Nizo cameras?

Hi, int 5 was binned, sold the 4080 for 50p at a cine convention. The remaining cameras were messed with by me then skipped at work, recall shipping a few parts to members on filmshooting.com. Given up messing with non working cameras now.

• Premium Member
Hi, int 5 was binned, sold the 4080 for 50p at a cine convention. The remaining cameras were messed with by me then skipped at work, recall shipping a few parts to members on filmshooting.com. Given up messing with non working cameras now.

Skipped at work???

Toyota Camry's have a timing belt that has to be changed every 60,000 miles, before it breaks or the engine can be damaged, yet these cars were rated most favored sedan for several years in a row.

I gotta believe that someone out there is adept at replacing belts on these Nizo cameras.

Hi, i would expect Germany would be the place to source a repairer for the nizos, i did try a uk repairer, http://www.enablis.co.uk/kwtech.services/ however after many emails, messages left on answering machine, then speaking to the guy, i gave up. He promised to check his stock and ring me back, still waiting after 3-4 years or so. Understand that i am not alone with the service or lack of it i received from this uk repairer. Annoying as he is/was sitting on spare parts for bauer,nizo and possibly leicina special, he once worked for leitz instruments and i believe purchased all remaining spares including projector parts. I outed the cameras simply for space, at that time there must of been 20-30 in my cupboards.