LAST MINUTE NIKON R-10 MINI-EMERGENCY!

Tanner Almon

Hey Super 8 Nation,

I have a quick question. Tomorrow I will be shooting indoors with my Nikon R-10 under tungsten lights. I believe that means that I am supposed to insert the filter key plate into the top of my camera. If that is indeed the case, I have a few questions...

1. How far into the camera shoud the key plate go? I assume it goes down just until the circle is sticking out, which would mean only about half of the plate disappers into the camera. Is this correct?

2. This is kind of hard to describe, but I'm not sure which side of the plate is the front and which side is the back. Does it matter which way I insert it? Like, which side should be facing which side of the camera?

Thanks so much for anyone who can help!

Best,

Tanner

• Premium Member
Hey Super 8 Nation,

I have a quick question. Tomorrow I will be shooting indoors with my Nikon R-10 under tungsten lights. I believe that means that I am supposed to insert the filter key plate into the top of my camera. If that is indeed the case, I have a few questions...

1. How far into the camera shoud the key plate go? I assume it goes down just until the circle is sticking out, which would mean only about half of the plate disappers into the camera. Is this correct?

2. This is kind of hard to describe, but I'm not sure which side of the plate is the front and which side is the back. Does it matter which way I insert it? Like, which side should be facing which side of the camera?

Thanks so much for anyone who can help!

Best,

Tanner

I think American quarters work and they go in about halfway.

Another way to know when the filter has been disengaged is by keeping the camera in autoexposure mode, as the filter is disengaged it will shift 2/3 of an f-stop. Of course if the f-stop is wide open or completely closed when you try this this test may not work properly. Mount your camera on a tripod and if you can get an autoexposure reading between f2.8 and f16 then when you disengage the filter by inserting the filter key you should see the autoexposure meter reading shift by 2/3's of an f-stop.

• Premium Member
Thanks guys. I figured it out. Oh yeah, I'm shooting my last few rolls of Kodachrome!

If you mention how you figured it out then perhaps your comment can be cut and pasted the next time the same question is asked on this forum.

When the filter key is IN, the 85 filter is OUT.

And yes, a quarter works fine.

The easiest way to remember which way it goes, is to remember that those old 650watt PAR movie lights (which are great, by the way) would mount to the camera with a tap that fit into the filter slot on the camera.

So think about it; you're using tungsten lights, so you need something sticking in that slot!

MP