Inverting image on F900??

Kelsey W. Smith

my question is why do you want to do that? If its just to see in the monitor I guess I understand, but if you are shooting with the camera upsidedown (as I have done from time to time) why not just add a note to the editor to flip it the right direction.

Guest Focus71

I sometimes have a string of 3 monitors, which you have to flip upside down. The HD monitors shouldn,t be that happy with it.

• Premium Member

I've never shot with an F900 that could flip the image in camera. It may be possible in one of the software upgrades, but I don't know. It would certainly be a nice feature. Sometimes the powers that be don't like the idea of flipping monitors, and sometimes it's impossible with very large monitors.

Check with Sony and ask if any of the upgrades allow this.

It's for Steadicam LM. It makes life sooooo much easier and quicker if you can just invert the image in the camera instead of flipping the HD monitors on set, they don't like being flipped very much nor does the DP for that matter!

Any who, just curious if it was possible.

Thanks guys.

Kelsey

• Premium Member

You can't invert the image without an add-in board which isn't generally avaliable in the United States. The latest revision (F900R) has the function built in, but I doubt that is entierly useful to you at the moment.

The only reason I can think of that image inversion would be useful would be because of an optical attachment that naturally flips it, like the Canon ACV-235. But, I'm sure there are other reasons...

- nathan

• Premium Member

The specific reason he wants to flip the image is for low mode. It's much easier and faster to just flip the whole rig upside down and fly the camera inverted (while flipping the image in camera) than to remove it from the steadicam and add a bracket to the top of the camera (which decreases rigidity) and fly the camera right side up. Flipping the image in camera solves the whole problem and makes low mode a whole lot easier for the operator, as well as for the director and editor. I've been struggling with this problem for years, as have many other steadicam operators who fly HD cameras.

Does anyone know if you can invert the image in the menu on a Sony F900?? If so, how?

Thanks

Hello Stedigui,

you can invert the image in the engineer´s menu, OPERATION, 10.LENS MENU and INVERT .

try it, I don´t know if your camera version allows it

Bye,