kodak, about time for 100d in s8 please

A.Oliver

Hi, been following a poll on filmshooting.com, i see the poll is in favour of kodak releasing 100d. I chatted to seven active super 8 users today at a collectors convention 6 people moaned that 64t is a poor replacement for k40 and the images are too grainy. One had switched to 16mm after using a few cartridges of 64t. Though he was totally unaware and not impressed that 16mm k40 in Europe had been discontinued (feel that the lab should send out a letter with processed 16mm film, some people are still not internet connected). As there seems to be so much negativity of 64t, i think kodak should see the error of their ways and release 100d in the sujper 8 format. Please.

Forgive my stupidity, but would we be able to use 100d in cameras that are auto only? My chinon lists "daylight 25/100 artifical light 40/160" so I would think so. But I am clueless regarding the pin metering system.

Frankly, that's what I want. I want to be able to use at least some of my cameras again. I live with any stock they give me.

Joe

[quote name='k25rip' post='106475' date='May 20 2006, 06:27 PM']Hi, been following a poll on filmshooting.com, i see the poll is in favour of kodak releasing 100d. I chatted to seven active super 8 users today at a collectors convention 6 people moaned that 64t is a poor replacement for k40 and the images are too grainy. One had switched to 16mm after using a few cartridges of 64t. Though he was totally unaware and not impressed that 16mm k40 in Europe had been discontinued (feel that the lab should send out a letter with processed 16mm film, some people are still not internet connected). As there seems to be so much negativity of 64t, i think kodak should see the error of their ways and release 100d in the sujper 8 format. Please.[/quote]

We can only hope.

I would've thought that E100D would have been a no-brainer, since just about all cameras can expose 100D correctly, if the cartridge is notched correctly--as opposed to E64T, which only works in the higher-line late-model cams and half of the older ones.

Quite frankly, I have yet to see anything shot in E64T that impresses me. IMHO, the color balance always seems to be off--it's either too cold or too warm, while K40 seemed to get it just right most of the time.

I think Kodak will come around now that they've got an actual threat in the Cinevia and Specta Velvia stocks. In my mind, anyway, Velvia is the true successor to K40. I believe Kodak will see the light and give us E100D--if for no other reason than to take whatever little bit of market share back from Pro8mm. I mean, it's not as if people [i]won't[/i] buy it; Wittner's already proven there's a market for it.

I suppose, though, if Kodak really wanted to be daring, they could re-launch a more environmentally friendly version of Kodachrome--maybe even higher speed versions like the K200 they used to sell. I doubt anyone would complain about that...

Hi,kodak sales of 64t were probably ok to begin with, until users saw how bad it is. I see wittner are releasing fuji 64t in super 8 which offers less grain than e64t. Its not rocket science to work out the worst filmstock in the super 8 format is being sold by the formats originator. There must be a slow swing away from the 64t stock in favour of these new emulsions offered by wittner, gk, spectra etc. Kodak should cut there latest 100 e6 ( not 100d ) or offer the daylite version of 64t to redress the balance.

The E64T is better for projection (its intended use) than most people think... so releasing a tungston balanced film was not such a bad idea. It is too grainy for telecine, but projected 64T shot in sunny weather can appear grainless at times. however, i do agree that if 100D was fresh from Kodak, it would be almost indistinguishable from the Velvia 50D... based on what I've seen of S8 100D that is not fogged or dirty. In that case it would be a huge hit, with fine grain for projection and telecine, with excellent colors. not to mention it would be easy to shoot, for those that don't know how to shoot 64T. This week, I'll be shooting some comparison scenes of Vel 50D, 100D and 64T exposed correctly on identical shots. will have stills posted in about 2.5 weeks.

Have correctly exposed 64t, made a test 64t, k40, ds-8 k25, then projected the result, 64t was utter crap, even correctly exposed, 0.5 and 1 stops over and under is fails to look good on a projected screen it really is a poor stock.

Did you use an 85B filter? My results have been rich colors, clean whites, and fine detail. K40 always left me with soft detail, bla colors, strange hues, and sometimes a rainbow effect on the emulsion. maybe some was due to processing, but now with E6 I can get super clean processing at a number of places. I just reviewed some K40 footage last night, and it was painful to look at after dealing with E6 films.

I just recently shot on the vision 2 200T 7217 stock, havent' developed it yet, but kodak also makes 7218 500T.

I'm sure they will be making the vision stocks for s8 soon. Hopefully.

Uhhh, you mean the 17 & 18 that have been out in S8 for 2 years now? we're waiting for the 7201 to be added maybe.