Newbie here, help please!

Hello all,

I'm putting together a lighting kit for a new project, and don't really know a dern thing about it. I've been given a starter list from a gaffer friend, now he's out of town for the extra stuff.

Here's what I'm going to be ordering so far:

-6 Par 46 cans

-8 Par 20 short mini-pars

-lighting truss

-all bulbs

Can anyone help on everything else I need to get going? I'm thinking O-clamps, some safety cables, etc, and I need to power up this whole set! Any recommndations? What cables do I need? Our power source is just whatevers' in the wall (so far, hoping we don't need a generator), so what do I plug cables into? Like I said, I don't know anything about this, I've just taken up the challenge to learn it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Premium Member

Well, that would be a nice package if you were doing a concert or something.

It is extremely hard to recommend a package without knowing what you are shooting (locations, look, etc).

Also, will you have a generator, or just relying on wall power?

I am assuming wall power, so here are some standards:

2 x 1.2k HMI PARs (LTM)

2 x 8" 2k fresnels

4 - 6 x 650w. tweenies

This is a very small package, but will work in most situations. I really like the 1.2k HMIs because they are so versatile. They have punch outdoors, and can look great through windows, etc.

For grip stuff, this would be a nice package:

7 C-STANDS, 1 SHORT C-STAND, 4 REG. COMBOS, 1 BABY OFFSET, 2 BABY PLATES, 2DUCKBILL HOLDER, 1 FOAMCORE HOLDER, 2 CEILING CLIPS, 2 JR TO BABY ADAPTERS, 2 JR GRIP HEADS, 2 6" C-CLAMP W/ BABY, 2 12" FURNI CLAMPS, 2 MAYFERS, 2 CARDILLINI, 5 SAFETY HANGERS, 1 4 STEP LADDER, 8 20LB SANDBAGS, 4 FULL AND 2 EA. 1/2, 1/4 AND PANCAKE APPLES, 5 EA., #1, #2, #3 GRIP CLIPS, 2 FURNI PADS, 1 EA. 18X24 SINGLE, DOUBLE, SILK, 2 18X24 SOLIDS, 1 EA. 2X3 SINGLE, DOUBLE, SILK, 2 2X3 SOLIDS, 1 6X6 BUTTERFLY SET

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

Hi,

> 4 REG. COMBOS,

Eh?

1 BABY OFFSET, 2 BABY PLATES, 2DUCKBILL HOLDER,

Eh? What? Which?

> 2 12" FURNI CLAMPS, 2 MAYFERS, 2 CARDILLINI,

Sorry?

> 1/4 AND PANCAKE APPLES

Don't wish to sound repetitive or ignorant, but what're those?

> 2 FURNI PADS,

Erm...

Phil "What's that?" Rhodes

Thanks for the response! We actually are shooting a concert of sorts- we're doing live bands in a recording studio using 4 Panasonic DVX 100A's. And yes, we're just plugging into the wall, so I'm totally in the dark as how to do this. Power strips, anyone? :)

Thanks again for any help-

• Premium Member

Ok, well then PAR cans are not a bad way to go.

You may also want some Lekos. Generally you would have three sets of truss (or pipe). Each of these are known as "electrics". On your first electric you would have several par cans and lekos for key/ fill. On your second electric you would have the same units, but lighting as somewhat toppy/ reaching into the back. On your third electric you would have your back lights. You could also add some vertical pipes on each wing of the stage area to add some side light.

All these lights would then be hooked up to a dimmer board to set the balance of all the units.

Obviously in a low budget situation, you will have to forgo a lot of this stuff. Most of the PAR cans I am talking about would be PAR 64s. These are 1ks, thus they draw about 10 amps. You could plug two of these into one household circuit (assuming 20 amps, and not 15).

I would make pairs of two units, one on stage left the other on stage right and cube tap them into one circuit. I would do this working my way to center. If you can get 1000w wall dimmers and wire your pairs into these (if you cant get a dimmer board) that would be real good. I almost lean towards you getting 1k fresnels (if you can afford them) because of the ability to easily scrim them down (easily, assuming you can get up to them!).

As for the rigging of all this, I can not say because I don't know your location. Saftey chains are a must.

Kevin Zanit