Getting Vivid colors with a DVcam

Guest Sean Curt

Guest Sean Curt

I have a Canon GL2 with a Redrockmicro35 adapter, and I was testing it out today and was looking at a painted wall that had 2 colors..and the colors appeared to be a bit faded out viewing through the camera than the actual rendition of the wall. (the wall was a orange/peach color and the wall next to it was a ligher version of that)

Keep in mind that I was inside my house looking out my window with a Cannon 85mm f/1.8 Prime lens on the micro35.

I figured i needed a polorizer to get a better or more vivid rendition of what the camera sees.

now maybe someone could help me there as far as what I can do when having a DV camera shooting in the day and trying for vivid colors, maybe its more to it...(my impression is that video is difficult than film on this matter but there maybe some other methods that you experienced DV film/videographers use to get a good vivid shot.

Also this might be on the lines of me getting a Polarizer, maybe not, but thats why Im asking here Can someone first give me their advice on this matter then answer my 2nd question if you will....

As far as polarizers go which is a decent brand to get?

• Premium Member

I haven't tried the Redrock, but most 35mm adapters lose a little contrast which in turn washes out the color. Color correction is ridiculously easy in most desktop NLE's. Try correcting for the washed out black levels first, and you'll be surprised how much apparent saturation you regain.

• Premium Member

There is a good polarizer- "Golden Polarizer" that you may find useful for color

creativity/effect. Its made by Singh-Ray and gets very expensive by the mm.

They custom make them for you,takes some time and they will notify you when

they are ready to ship. This is not to take away from anything that Mr. Nash has

said as he has my greatest respect. I'm just suggesting this as a creative route

with different intensities of light and qualities of light. I'm not suggesting this for a

camera that is smearing or having problems producing natural color.

Greg Gross

Don't forget time of day enters into the picture also. EXT or INT??

1. Quality of light source

2. Direction of light source

3. Intensity of light source

Greg Gross