Poseidon

Whad did you all think of Poseidon....or has anyone else even seen it?

I thought it was great fun, and actually pretty intense during some sequences. The film is quite empty as far as good characters/acting/script/story etc go. But i felt like that was not such a bad thing. This movie was simply about a HUGE wave (done very well by ILM, with possibly one of the most hilariously great reveals in recent memory, the wave first seen in the reflection of the captain's binoculars) knocking over a ship, and some people getting out. Really was nothing else than that.

I liked the look of it in general, nothing too fancy. Once the ship capsizes and water starts coming in from all angles everything starts to gain a blue look, which i liked. With the ship being upside down, they shot it all bottom lit. i felt like it worked, and some of kurt russells great kurt russell-ish expressions were brought even more to life by the near-creepy bottom lighting. Fun movie, what did you guys think?

Steve

empty, empty, empty!

Not much believable stuff in there. While people are dying everywhere or already dead, some peopple manage to get out and survive many things that normally would kill. Sure a few die on the way but still.

Only for some technical effects it was "nice", like the opening scene (motion control, greenscreen, miniature, scaling etc).

The engine that came crashing down on the new york stupid was very fake, very digital. the following explosion too, and unbelievable in effect ( fire doesn't go only up)

The water they swim through is all clear as it can be.....

Too much money for a fery thin script

• Premium Member
empty, empty, empty!

Not much believable stuff in there. While people are dying everywhere or already dead, some peopple manage to get out and survive many things that normally would kill. Sure a few die on the way but still.

Only for some technical effects it was "nice", like the opening scene (motion control, greenscreen, miniature, scaling etc).

The engine that came crashing down on the new york stupid was very fake, very digital. the following explosion too, and unbelievable in effect ( fire doesn't go only up)

The water they swim through is all clear as it can be.....

Too much money for a fery thin script

I agree. About five minutes in, I thought to myself, "this was a waste of money and time." It ended up not being a complete waste because John Seale, ACS, ASC did some good work. I got some ideas from the way he lit the scenes where the flashlight was the only source. Also, the opening shot was quite impressive as it appeared to be a mix between CGI and an in camera shot. The shot went on for what seemed to be about 2 minutes. If you're going to see a good story, acting or even get entertained... I wouldn't recommend Poseidon.

• 1 month later...

I caught a 2K DLP screening. The first show, and like "Narnia" the cinema was unable to start the film properly. "Narnia" ran on 35mm after 20 minutes. This one had out of sync sound (like 1 minute!) for some time. How this is even technically possible beats me. Maybe the 35mm sound running in parallel was used and films not started together?

Anyway, the film looked ok from 2K DLP except the credits (opening and closing). Sitting relatively close (0.75 screen widths) the pixelisation was excessive. The opening texts had running jaggies and were wobbling around in whole pixel increments. The closing credits looked like interlaced video with massive flickering, and pixel eroded letters all over. An aliased mess. Something like this is not fit to replace 35mm projection. I wonder if the master was so bad or the DLP added lots of artifacts on top.

Michel Hafner

www.imdb.com

Terrible. I thought everyone phoned it in. Story it went from one moronic challenge to another with no character or drama. The photography was over lit and had too many close-ups that looked like the Love Boat. Whose fault? Who cares? The effects had no drama to them. It was as if some engineer was asked to design a shot that took you from A to B. Where as a director like Steve Sommers on Van Helsing would take the same kind of shot and blow me away. People have learned a lot about making disaster films since the first Poseidon to bad no one listened.

That's all I need to know to stay home & save my $9.00

---Wait 'til it's in the dollar theaters.

QUOTE(Stephen Lamb @ May 27 2006, 06:00 PM)

Whad did you all think of Poseidon....or has anyone else even seen it?

... The film is quite empty as far as good characters/acting/script/story etc go...

And really, who goes to such a movie for acting and script?

Do you go to rock concerts for sublety of perfomance and the fine elucution of the singer?

---LV