Any opinions on Diffusion in a can?

Tim O'Connor

• Premium Member
I'm concerned about smoke detectors at the location (int. about 40' x 60'.)

Thanks.

You always need to disable smoke detectors when using artificial smoke inside, whether it comes from a fogger or from a can. Remember that these are not the same as the heat detectors on ceiling sprinkers.

• Premium Member
You always need to disable smoke detectors when using artificial smoke inside, whether it comes from a fogger or from a can. Remember that these are not the same as the heat detectors on ceiling sprinkers.

Thank you, David. I also learned today from reading some back posts here on the site that some detectors

respond to interference with light ( I guess because smoke would do that. Never heard of that but at any

rate, after the many back posts I've read about detectors going off; I'm going to be very careful - I mean

I guess I should be anyway though, right?)

• Premium Member

AMEN!

Then there was the day that some high school students rented the smallish Hall of Mirrors at the Oklahoma Civic Center Music Hall for a graduation dance. Without bothering to inform the house technical staff, the band they hired brought in a garage band fogger.

Band lights fogger off.

Fogger trips fire alarm system.

Alarm scrams sound system in the packed 1800 seat Thelma Gaylord auditorium where a Philharmonic Pops concert with Marvin Hamlisch is being presented to a full house.

No one can figure out immediately what scrammed the sound system so the building is evacuated, including my little ten person cast and crew in a rehearsal hall.

Yes Virginia, foggers will trip fire alarms. And the kids were probably very fortunate that the fire alarm system at the CCMH is smart enough that the sprinklers didn't get tripped.

I second what David and Hal have said.

As far as using Diffusion-In-A-Can for atmosphere, I find it to be a real pain. In order for the smoke to hang you practically have to seal off the set from drafts or outlets. Better to ventilate the set and use a real smoke machine. It's alright for small sets though..

• Premium Member
I second what David and Hal have said.

As far as using Diffusion-In-A-Can for atmosphere, I find it to be a real pain. In order for the smoke to hang you practically have to seal off the set from drafts or outlets. Better to ventilate the set and use a real smoke machine. It's alright for small sets though..

Hal, so many horror stories I've heard. Matt, good point. I'm going to be in a big space. Thanks guys.