Wher can i get super 8 film cartridges?

Guest rhino1616

Guest rhino1616

Hi,

I just borrowed mu uncles old GAF super 8 sound movie camera model: SS 250 XL. It was siting in his closet with 2 old roles of B&W & color (expiry 1981). I would like to use the camera to film a little bit of a wedding but I read the film is discontinued. Is this true? I live in Canada, can I find the B&W or colour film anywhere? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you

Spectra also sells Kodak super 8 films as well as the new, ultra colorful Fugi Velvia super 8. Although the Kodak film may be a bit more expensive on its own (than Kodak direct), you can get discounts that offer good savings when you combine it with processing and/or transfer. Combine this with additional savings on shipping to and from multiple places to process, transfer, etc. A very helpful place with a knowledgeable staff worth checking out.

Best of luck!

Hi,

I just borrowed mu uncles old GAF super 8 sound movie camera model: SS 250 XL. It was siting in his closet with 2 old roles of B&W & color (expiry 1981). I would like to use the camera to film a little bit of a wedding but I read the film is discontinued. Is this true? I live in Canada, can I find the B&W or colour film anywhere? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you

Super 8 is not discontinued at all. Kodachrome has been cancelled across the board, but there are lots of other stocks to shoot in Super 8:

Ektachrome 64T colour reversal

Tri-X 200 ASA B&W reversal

Plus-X 100 ASA B&W reversal

VISION2 200T colour negative

VISION2 500T colour negative

You can read about these stocks here: Kodak Super 8 stocks

Many cheaper cameras can only meter stocks that are 40 or 160 ASA. (The camera makers didn't bother making them compatible with other speeds because for many years, 40 and 160 ASA was all you could buy.)

It's unclear whether your GAF can meter other ASA film correctly. For an untested camera, I would recommend you shoot the Tri-X. It is the film that is the most compatible with every camera out there. Plus, no futzing with filters or daylight/tungsten switches.

If your GAF has manual aperture control, and you have an external light meter, then you could shoot any of these stocks -- but shooting a test first is advised. In your situation, I would stick with the Tri-X and have fun.

You can always order direct from Kodak (see above). I don't know where you are posting from, but in Toronto there are a couple of retail stores where you can buy Super 8 cartidges -- West Camera on Queen St. W, and Henry's on Church St.

Good luck!