pink fluorescent gels

Hi again, I'd like to use a pink fluorescent gel for a sequence in a short, and I only can buy ROSCO Filters. So Anybody has used pink carnation from Rosco? Is it good for natural white skin tones? Do you think this colour works well with black backgrounds?

Do you know other pink fluorescent Rosco filter ?

Another question. I have another sequence where a couple break up, so I would like to use very cold blue gels from Rosco, Could you tell me wich gels do this cold blue ?

All the best,

Alberto,

Edited by sinsemilla69

• Premium Member
Hi again, I'd like to use a pink fluorescent gel for a sequence in a short, and I only can buy ROSCO Filters. So Anybody has used pink carnation from Rosco? Is it good for natural white skin tones? Do you think this colour works well with black backgrounds?

I'm not sure what you're asking for. Skin tones will look... pink. That's what you want, right?

Black is a "neutral." Any color you put up against it will simply look like the color it is.

For cold blue, open up that Rosco swatchbook and look for a blue that looks right to you.

Color is a personal thing. If you ask 10 of us what color blue to use, you'll get 10 different answers. Since it sounds like you know what you're looking for, the best thing is to start looking for it (with your own eyes).

I guess the only technical caveats I could throw in here are: 1) Not all fillmstocks and video cameras reproduce colors exactly the same way your eye sees them, so you really have to test them together to know exactly how they will come out. 2) colored lighting looks most saturated when it's near middle exposure or just below; if you overexpose the light too much the color appears to "wash out" a little as it gets brighter.

And maybe lay off the buds, sinsemilla ;)

Thank you a lot Miachael. The gel I was trying to say is a neon pink, fluorescent but finally we aren't going to use it.

I have read Rosco guide filters before to post this , but I'm a student and I haven't got much possibilities to shoot on 16 mm. This is going to be my second shoot on 16mm and my second time as a DP in my life.

So I don't know what effect causes the gels.

I beg you to suggest me two or three cold blue gels to choose one.

To make you an idea I want a very cold blue but not much dark, I would like a colour like in the film of Krzyzstof Kieslowski " Three colours : BLUE". and Slawomir Idziak directing photography

I have seen a rosco gel called " Mist Blue" , do you kow this gel?

cheers from over the ocean,

Alberto

Edited by sinsemilla69

• Premium Member

Blue is the one disc in the box set that wouldn't play in my machine for some reason, so I still haven't seen it! And everyone says it's the best one...

When people want a cold, blue look they usually use uncorrected daylight as a starting point. You can get a good idea of what this looks like with a video camera or digital still camera that's white balanced for tungsten, and shoot under daylight conditions. To get this look on film, use tungsten film and Full CTB gel on tungsten lights, or use HMI lights. If you want it less blue switch to a lower density gel (on tungsten), or a partial density of CTO on HMI's. If you want something even more saturated or a slightly different hue, then you'd need to add a colored gel. You can sometimes combine gels that you already have on hand, like using two layers of CTB (to make "double blue"), or add some plus-green to the blue for a more cyan color.

Just remember that very saturated colored gels eat up a lot of light.

Thank you ,man!! I understan well this : " Blue is the one disc in the box set that wouldn't play in my machine for some reason, so I still haven't seen it! And everyone says it's the best one..."You mean that you never use blue because you don't like it? Maybe you are right.Please clarify this since my english isn't good

So what colour do you suggest to a sequence where a couple break up and, and they are naked in the bed, and the girl says to him that continues fu**ing in spite of he has said her that he don't want to continue their relationship. I hope you understand me.

Do you think a magenta gel (minus green) works well? What colour dou you think?

All the best

Alberto

Edited by sinsemilla69

• Premium Member

I meant I haven't seen Krzyzstof Kieslowski " Three colours : BLUE", because the DVD wouldn't play in my machine.

Regarding the breakup scene, see my answers to your "candlelight" question.

I meant I haven't seen Krzyzstof Kieslowski " Three colours : BLUE", because the DVD wouldn't play in my machine.

Regarding the breakup scene, see my answers to your "candlelight" question.

I'm sorry about my english , I thought that it was an expression.

Yeah, Blue is an amazing film. Try to see it and tell me abou colours. However I have read some bad critics about the cinematography of this film . Well I don't know enough to say if this is good or bad cinematography, but i would say that is great.

Ciao. Alberto