Zoom lenses...

PJBarry

First off, are a CP mount and a C mount the same thing?

And secondly, if you have a zoom lense that's 15 to 120 mm, let's say. If you put it to 15 mm, would that give the same picture as a 15 mm lense? 15 mm is pretty wide, if I'm not mistaken, and it doesn't seem like the zoom lense gets all that wide.

All help is very appreciated,

PJ

Thanks Mitch,

But now I'm a little confused. I was told by someone (whom I thought was reputable) that my old Frezzolini camera (like 20 yrs old) had a CP mount but when I was looking at the Frezzie booklet that came with it, it says it has a "C-Mount"

I thought perhaps in the last 20 years the name "C-Mount" has been changed to CP Mount but I guess not.

Also, how wide of a lense can you get without it getting fisheye. Is there a recommended lense that can do wide angles but also some close-ups with?

Again, all help is appreciated,

Patrick

Thanks Mitch,

But now I'm a little confused. I was told by someone (whom I thought was reputable) that my old Frezzolini camera (like 20 yrs old) had a CP mount but when I was looking at the Frezzie booklet that came with it, it says it has a "C-Mount"

I thought perhaps in the last 20 years the name "C-Mount" has been changed to CP Mount but I guess not.

Also, how wide of a lense can you get without it getting fisheye. Is there a recommended lense that can do wide angles but also some close-ups with?

Again, all help is appreciated,

Patrick

When the Frezzi was built the CP mount did not exist. The Frezzi was in fact replaced by the CP-16, which used the CP mount. It is very possible that someone retrofitted a CP mount onto your old Frezzi camera. Does the lens screw on with threads, or is it a three-bladed flange with a clamping ring on the camera? The thread design is C-mount and the flange is CP.

You can commonly get 8mm lenses that are very wide angle but are not fisheye distorting. But no wide angle lens is particularly flattering for closeup face work. To get a closup of a face with a wide angle, you need to be physically very close to the subject, which will stretch the nose while pushing away the forehead and ears. Generally closeups are far more flattering on more telephoto lenses such as an 85mm.

By the way, Patrick, the "CP" stands for Cinema Products, who took over and revamped the Frezzolini cameras.

I like the look of closeups with a wide angle lens in a "non-romantic" like setting, (meaning, don't do this if you're trying to make your leading lady look good!), but you have to be careful or everyone onscreen will look like Kramer from Seinfeld.

Matt Pacini

I like the look of closeups with a wide angle lens in a "non-romantic" like setting, (meaning, don't do this if you're trying to make your leading lady look good!), but you have to be careful or everyone onscreen will look like Kramer from Seinfeld.

From an interview with Chris Doyle:

'When we did Fallen Angels, I started with a 9.8 mm lens. I thought that was rather distorted but Wong Kar-Wai said, "Let's go further." So, we went to 6.5mm. [Actor] Michelle Reis turned her head and her nose became like Pinocchio; it just extended through the whole frame [laughs]. I said, "What are we going to do?" and Wong Kar-Wai said, "We don't show her the rushes, do we?" '

B)

-Sam