Another Newbie Reel

Its rough at this point and I know its a bit to long(4m:30sec). I wish I had a website to upload the higher quality quicktime file but what are you gonna do. Any construtive critiques would be freaking awesome. I just finished up school so I am still young and eager to learn.

enjoy. or dont. whatever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6tJMEMBZKQ

Guest peter orland

Hi Ricardo.

Like you said, it's a bit rough, and too long.

Having said that, there are some nice shots, and I particularly liked the closing sequence out in the sand. For me the main problem with your reel is that it all starts to feel (then look) the same, even though it isn't. I would re-arrange the order with some of the end footage and some of the band footage brought in earlier, maybe fade to black a couple of times to help delineate some contrast between styles.

A bit shorter.

A bit tighter.

A bit more thought to the arrangement.

Could be good.

Thanks.

It looks good. Couple things.

As noted above, a little to long- 2.5 to 3 minutes should be long enough.

To many shots of the young boys, trim it down, use the shot with the beer were they push the kid back off the bridge, use the slushy throw at the cops and a couple other shots. People want to see action even if it is dramatic.

Also, don't think of this as a sequence of events, maybe open with a sand shot(which awesome) because it will grab your veiwer, then maybe cut to a shot of the band, etc... It doesn't need to make sense, the more varitey the better. Then maybe you don't see another shot of the sand till shot 10. Don't worry about telling a story so much as showing your best shots in an ADD sort of manor.

Last thing- this may suck, but I 'm just being honest. Maybe find a song that is a litttle less drab. It's a good song but it doesn't drive the edit. Find a "rock", track that still grooves, but has a climax and sway of emotion.

Other than that you have a nice reel for someone just out of school. Spread it around once you tweak it.

"Tunnel vision is the worst, and we all have to fight it."

• Premium Member

You have a lot of good stuff there to choose from. Try to cut it to 90 seconds or less, that way only the strogest, most compelling shots will make it into the final cut.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the honesty. I am gonna go back to the cutting room and get it down to about 2:30. I was hoping to get an idea of the pieces people liked and didnt so I can continue cutting. I agree about the song. I will find something a little more upbeat and involving.

Anyone else got any suggestions?