Super 8 - 45min to feature length - possible?

Chris Graham

Hey reflex, what do you mean by "bring[ing] it up to modern standards"? The standards of theater projection? And what are you "warning" us about--the cost of such an effort? Just curious.

I was warning about the look as well as the cost. The film was released on 35mm and I suspect that the less-than-stellar frame registration of Super 8 might not be accepted by modern audiences who're used to rock-solid images when projected on a large screen.

Cost is a secondary factor, since many of us own (or have easy access to) decent NLE systems without having to pay by the hour.

Edited by reflex

For 10 bit, the drives have to spin faster, no?

Is anyone switching back and forth between dv firewire and 10 bit edit jobs, or do most people dedicate their NLE to either 10 bit or DV firewire, but not both?

I've seen 10-bit SD being edited on a newish G4 Powerbook, with Lacie Firewire 800 drives.

It seemed to work great for the guy using it (a music video director/editor.) I never saw any dropped frames. The colour space is fantastic -- compositing was nice and clean (compared to DV). When he was done, he took the drive in to a place with a BlackMagic card and a DigiBeta deck, and voila! Finished DigiBeta tape, cut with the same kind of convenience as MiniDV.

• Premium Member
I've seen 10-bit SD being edited on a newish G4 Powerbook, with Lacie Firewire 800 drives.

It seemed to work great for the guy using it (a music video director/editor.) I never saw any dropped frames. The colour space is fantastic -- compositing was nice and clean (compared to DV). When he was done, he took the drive in to a place with a BlackMagic card and a DigiBeta deck, and voila! Finished DigiBeta tape, cut with the same kind of convenience as MiniDV.

That sounds encouraging. Do you think he actually color corrected on the G4 as well?

That sounds encouraging. Do you think he actually color corrected on the G4 as well?

Yeah, he does the whole online. The only part he farms out is complex CGI and compositing -- more for expertise and professionalism than hardware. He provides the 10 bit files to the compositor, who returns finished sequences, and it all goes back into Final Cut on the Powerbook.

Very inspiring to see. This stuff is the real deal -- shot on 35mm, delivered on DigiBeta for national airplay.