F950 Cinealta vs. Viper

Lance Flores

I am looking to purchase cameras and capture stations shortly and cut the field down to the F950 or Viper. I like the ability to get a 2.37:1 aspect without degrading or using anamorphic lenses.

The F950 has proven itself in a number of productions, and has a larger experienced cinematographer base. Robert Rodriguez up the road from us has had good results, particularly in his green screen work.

I was interested if someone has used both cameras, and could share comparative experience with cameras.

We are shooting a historical, drama, action, feature production in Baton Rogue and San Antonio with little green screen, but mostly ext practical and sets, and another feature production almost back to back.

Thanks

• Premium Member
I am looking to purchase cameras and capture stations shortly and cut the field down to the F950 or Viper. I like the ability to get a 2.37:1 aspect without degrading or using anamorphic lenses.

Well, that just leaves the Viper then -- only it has that unique CCD design of pixel sub-groups that can be arranged to allow a 2.35 image to fill the 16x9 HD recording.