Sankyo wiring / battery case

David W Scott

I just picked up a Sankyo Super CM 300 camera.

On closer inspection, I see that it is missing the interal battery carrier. I am willing to hardwire a new 4xAA battery clip into the camera, as the wiring is easily accessible in the handle.

But, I don't want to miswire and blow anything up. :rolleyes:

Does anyone have info or ideas on wiring of the battery holder in this camera? i.e. Standard wire colours, or polarity of contacts for the original (missing) battery case?

I suspect this info would be the same for the whole Super CM line. Any suggestions would be welcome.

• Premium Member
I just picked up a Sankyo Super CM 300 camera.

On closer inspection, I see that it is missing the interal battery carrier. I am willing to hardwire a new 4xAA battery clip into the camera, as the wiring is easily accessible in the handle.

But, I don't want to miswire and blow anything up. :rolleyes:

Does anyone have info or ideas on wiring of the battery holder in this camera? i.e. Standard wire colours, or polarity of contacts for the original (missing) battery case?

I suspect this info would be the same for the whole Super CM line. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Hi David, I happened to have a "spare" Sankyo CM 400 so I did an experiment on your behalf. I used a minature 9 volt battery and I touched the 9 volt battery terminals to the internal leads on the Sankyo. The camera fired right up. Then I was wondering what would happen if I switched polarity. I do not recommend this for most Super-8 camers because apparently some of them will instantly electronically burn out.

But in this instance, not only did the Sankyo camera fire up when I reversed the terminals on the 9 volt battery, but the camera appears to run in reverse! I am open to any warnings or "don't do that again because......" experiences anyone out there may have.

I also don't really recommend using a nine volt battery. The Sankyo runs off of four 1.5 volt batteries which equal 6 volts so I don't know what would happen if one used 9 volts for any prolonged time. I also would never leave such a camera powered with incorrect voltage so the only purpose for doing this is to determine correct polarity by watching which direction the internal motorized spindle in the Sankyo is moving. The internal Super-8 motorized advance spindle should move in the counterclockwise direction.

Hi David, I happened to have a "spare" Sankyo CM 400 so I did an experiment on your behalf. I used a minature 9 volt battery and I touched the 9 volt battery terminals to the internal leads on the Sankyo. The camera fired right up. Then I was wondering what would happen if I switched polarity. I do not recommend this for most Super-8 camers because apparently some of them will instantly electronically burn out.

But in this instance, not only did the Sankyo camera fire up when I reversed the terminals on the 9 volt battery, but the camera appears to run in reverse! I am open to any warnings or "don't do that again because......" experiences anyone out there may have.

I also don't really recommend using a nine volt battery. The Sankyo runs off of four 1.5 volt batteries which equal 6 volts so I don't know what would happen if one used 9 volts for any prolonged time. I also would never leave such a camera powered with incorrect voltage so the only purpose for doing this is to determine correct polarity by watching which direction the internal motorized spindle in the Sankyo is moving. The internal Super-8 motorized advance spindle should move in the counterclockwise direction.

Thanks Alessandro, I really appreciate you taking the time (and risk) to conduct this experiment. I've got a new AA pack that I will wire in.

Maybe if I'm feeling risky I'll try a nine volt and see if she'll do 24fps! :lol:

It actually seems like a lovely camera -- a nice design. I also like that it will meter 64T properly.

Cheers,

Dave