Optical Color Correction Mod for S8 Projectors for DIY Telecine

Turbe

Hello,

I have developed (prototyped) an Optical Source that allows Optical Color Correction for Eumig line of S8 Projectors (would work with others as well) - useful for DIY Telecine. It uses Luxeon 3W emitters and can use just the White color source, RGB or both (or all 4 channels) at one time, with independent brightness control (0-100%) of each of the 4 channels. The Luxeon emitters are in custom aluminum heat sinks. I originally planned to used just one channel (White Luxeon) but added RGB support. The mod could be either one channel (white), 3 channel (RGB) or 4 (white and RGB).

This config does not act like a electronic shutter (flashing LEDs like the Flashscan8), but is very suitable for frame by frame (3 - 6fps) Telecine (Eumig's are great for this).

The Mod will require very little modification to the projector itself, you can revert back to the standard bulbs.

I will post more info and pictures in the future if anyone is interested. I still have some fine tuning to do. Future additions planned will be a PC connection via USB for PC control of the individual channels.

Shawn

Edited by Turbe

• Premium Member

Sounds like the now defunct Sony Vialta.

If the individual sources intensity are controlled with a dimming device, then most likely a temperature change will occur (dimmed sources = redder). Therefore an ideal solution would be to have blinds or vanes on the source and control the output with them, kepping the actual lamp at 100% at all times. Just a thought.

I currently do have it under PC control using a DMX Windows App (more features than necessary), ideally, I need to write a simple app that will control individual intensities and have presets that are optically calibrated (though variables in installation will change this). Manual/Analog control of the individual channels is acceptable when using CineCap with Windows. Of course, you can use White only (in most cases, this would be the primary way), RGB channels or all 4.

Benefits of course, no hot spots, availability of LEDs (vs bulbs), heat, etc for frame by frame Telecine.

Shawn

Most DIY Projector mods do not allow the use of the original bulb setup without modification again (most that I know of).

Edited by Turbe

Guest videoFred

Shawn,

This is a very interesting DIY project!

I have made a similar setup myself, but with a warm white 3200K Luxeon led only.

For diffusing I use a light chamber, no opal glass needed this way.

This backlight system gives a very sharp picture!

I think a dimmed led will not change in color temperature,

correct me if I'm wrong.

However, I have lots of questions to ask...

I have send you a PM.

Fred.