H1 viewfinder

Daniel Madsen

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone found the H1 viewfinder especially inaccurate? What do you do to deal with the problem? Lets say too, that you don't have a HD monitor.

Thanks for the help.

Not really that innacurate -

just bad

--- I never look through the eye piece --it'd just a pixelated mess

---poor for focussing manually - I am using 35mm primes and I can't always tell if I have hit focus - (now this isn't canon's problem, I am making DOF a priority which the viewfinder can't handle)

So I ALWAYS have the Peaking feature on

just slow

---there is a lag in 24f.

So I just make the actors do everything twice.

But who really cares about seeing what you are filming anyway.

The biggest issue is the fact that it overscans........ ie you don't see the full image area. When I turned on the 90% safe marker I was amazed to find I could only just see the top side of the marker. Not only could I not see any of the image abovve the top of the 90% safe marker, I could not even see the the marker on the sides and bottom of the image!!! that means that you are not seeing anything close to the full image.

I contacted Canon in Australia and they said they are aware of the problem and told me that if I wanted to see the full image I could purchase the B&W "proffesional viewfinder". Not really good enough, especially considering the xl h1 is the most expensive camcorder in it's class.

The other issues of hd resolution are common to all hd cameras. The resolution of the viewfinder on the cinealta is not hd. Sony's line is that the human eye cannot percieve hd resolution in an image the size of a viewfinder...... convenient since it is probably also a limitation of thier technology.

I recently shot for five days with a mini 35 and Ziess super speeds and we just set marks and checked sharps using the focus assist function that zooms up the centre of the image, not ideal but film making is all about wworking wth the available technology.

My $0.02 AUD

Brad Smith.