Huge Green Screen Dilemma

Steve Denny

I have a 35mm spot I must DP. My problem is it dictates a larger than usual green screen that I have not experienced.

The shoot is an Indy Car pit stop. The story board dictates the camera being about 100' on a fairly wide frame (35-50mm) from the pit box where the car will enter, crew will changes four tires, and car will exit frame.

As the car enters the frame, camera moves in to settle on a medium shot of a crew member as the car has exited frame.

My dilemma: Is there a soundstage in Chicago large enough for this move? If we go outside, where the heck am I going to find enough green screen to cover that intial wide shot from almost 100' away from the car? It seems that I would need almost 4 stories high of cloth while I would have to paint the foreground?

I do not know where to begin to secure this large of a green screen surface for my background.

Steve

• Premium Member

The green only has to cover the foreground subjects that are moving and need to be keyed against a new background, so it isn't always necessary to fill the frame with green. You might get away with some large frames of greenscreen set end-to-end, a couple of 60'x40's, or a bunch of 20'x20's, I don't know. Talk to your efx supervisor as to what they need. If they really need a monster greenscreen that is hundreds of feet long and high, it's going to be a budget issue more than anything. Nothing's impossible with enough time and money... For all you know, they can live with just a few strategically placed 20'x20' greens and can roto the rest as needed.

There are no large studios in Chicago?

Paint the cyc wall, no problem.

If you need a REAL car stage that has more than enough of everything, go to Detroit. 90' X 120' X 35' stage with a 20' X 60' light box. It would make the job a piece of cake.