Completely mental technocrane setup du jour

Ed Moore

So the fun game is, what is the shot going to be? You're disqualified if it's instantly obvious to you what movie or commercial this is from (I certainly have no idea). My guess is that the shot starts looking into the bottom car (which is raised so you won't see it on street level), then lifts up an insane amount to a similar shot of the second car, which has a light shining through the sunroof or windscreen so presumably has people inside it. Then they take out the upper car's support cables in post.

Absolutely mental though. Has anyone worked on a set where something of this scale was performed? How long does something like this take to set up, and how does a risk assessment read for 'putting a supertechnocrane on a swinging gantry from another crane'?

Ed "looking forward to the big time" Moore

29.jpg

I seriously hope that gantry platform is bolted to the building wall with the base crane just taking the weight, otherwise they're in for an ugly surprise the moment the Techno starts to move. I sure wouldn't want to be that grip down below--directly underneath that platform.

I seriously hope that gantry platform is bolted to the building wall with the base crane just taking the weight, otherwise they're in for an ugly surprise the moment the Techno starts to move. I sure wouldn't want to be that grip down below--directly underneath that platform.

Yeah, it's hard to see where the back of the platform is - possibly it's resting on the top of the building below, and the crane is just supporting the bit that's sticking out over the edge. Still, I think I'd rather be over with the onlookers on the completely opposite side of the street :)