Easy to Make Car Mount

Jamie Metzger

Place a Rubber furni Mat on the hood -> High Hat Sitting on top of that

2 Ratchet Straps pulling in the shape of an "X", with the ratchet tool closer to the windshield on both sides.

Safety Chain Attached to camera -> attached via rope to frame of car

And you are done.

Did it this weekend. Wouldn't reccoment donoughts or 100 mph, but for a no budget car mount shot, it get's the job done.

Nice!

I've done something similar:

-4x3 plywood, painted black, with metal loops on each corner

-furni pad

-ratchet straps

-hi/low hat

Put the furni pad on the hood with the plywood on top, ratchet straps on each corner. Take the hi hat off the base and screw it on to the plywood wherever you want. It's really fast for changing camera positions since it's just three screws. I actually like it better than those speed rail rigs bacause of the speed and simplicity.

A friend of mine actually made a hostess tray out of PVC and angle brackets.... and then used it on a Ferrari! Solid as hell too. I love cheap rigs, heheheh.

• 4 weeks later...
Place a Rubber furni Mat on the hood -> High Hat Sitting on top of that

2 Ratchet Straps pulling in the shape of an "X", with the ratchet tool closer to the windshield on both sides.

Safety Chain Attached to camera -> attached via rope to frame of car

And you are done.

Did it this weekend. Wouldn't reccoment donoughts or 100 mph, but for a no budget car mount shot, it get's the job done.

Some wedges probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

I built a simple car mount this weekend. It can go on the hood or roof or on the passenger or driverside door. It uses 4 x 110 lb capacity suction cups (dent pullers, glass holders) some hollow metal bar stock with holes every inch, a hi-hat and some plywood. Shooting tests this coming up weekend. (going to test the mount with no camera first) Took me about 2 hours to put together and cost about $60.00.

Edited by Dan Horstman

• 3 weeks later...
Here's our solution:

beaulieucarmount1.jpg

Beaulieucarmountstripped1.jpg

beaulieucarmountstripped2.jpg

75 bucks and no tools required. The suction cup handles are used for carrying glass. If anyone would happen to have some ideas of improving it then I'd be happy to hear them.

Nice! It looks like those suction cups would hold better than something like this. Definitely much cheaper!