Cleaning a spec of a lens

eggart

I recently got a macro-cinegon lens, and have been bothered by a small white spec of something stuck to the outside of the front element. I'm not sure what it is, I tried to gently clean it off, and it did get smaller, but what's left is stuck there. Should I worry about this, or just leave it?

Guest santo

Yes you should try and get rid of it. If you don't you will find that from time to time, in bright light, that you get a "ghost circle" on your images which will be annoying.

Did you try using a Q-tip with a little lens cleaning solution? I'd put a few drops of solution on a Q-tip and work the area, then use dry ends until you remove the spot.

I've found that the best way to clean lenses, once an initial full on clean job is done after purchase, is to use this technique. Using a lens cloth or cleaning papers is terrific for an initial cleaning, but then you've got the cap on most all the time and the only time it comes off is when shooting something for the most part. So the only thing that can get on the lens are globs of water or other airborne particles unless you somehow land a fingerprint on there. Pulling out the cleaning cloth or lens papers will result in eventual rub marks/cleaning marks on the lens. But touch-ups on very tiny local areas when needed with a Q-tip doesn't seem to be harmful.

Hmm. I have some eyeglass cleaner I bought at Walmart. "Flents WIPE'N CLEAR" It has a picture of a camera on the bottle, and says it does not contain silicone. Would I be an idiot to use this? (I'd have to order anything better online)

Ignoring any possible comment on what an enourmous jackass I am, I used the stuff, but that little white spec is still there. I can't see it through the viewfinder though, so I don't think it will be a big of a problem.

Another thing, even at wide open this lens is pretty dim through the viewfinder, but seems nice and bright when I'm just eyeballing it. I can't see anything on the internal elements. It's like there's a pair of invisible sunglasses glued on it. The internal exposure system always says I'm about a stop off my external readings, which are spot on with other lenses. Is this usual, or is something seriously amiss?

It was like this before I tried cleaning too.