panasonic ag-dvx100

Lisa Ilmiscoo

Hello I am new to the filmmaking industry and I am shooting a short documentury for broadcast television. I am looking to purchase a panasonic ag-dvx100 what are your opinions on this? There are so many cameras out there, it is so hard to choose. Do you think this camera will be ok for me? (Quality wise)

It depends on what quality you are trying to achieve. The DVX 100a has been a real work horse in the doc and reality world. It is broadcast quality, has a wonderful picture, and is a very professional camera. It is also a camera that is past its prime. More and more independent film makers are turning toward 24P HD mini DV of their camera of choice. The Sony Z1u or Panasonic HVX 200 are both great cameras that are seeing lots of popularity these days. So if you are tight on money and shooting a somewhat behind the times camera suits your needs go with the 100a. If you feel the need to keep up with the new trends look to the HD cameras. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

the DVX 100A was and is my first decent real camera, Im no expert what so ever, and found it really easy to use, within a few short weeks, after knowing nothing about filming, my stuff looked pretty good, Ive only been shooting in 24pn mode to try to obtain a film look, I would think outside of the film look would be easier. I give it thumbs up for my first camera, I think you probably would to, cheers