HVX for Greenscreen Work?

barryagilbert

Hi,

I'm going to be shooting a short project which is heavy on chromakeying. I've shot bluescreens before with 35mm but for budgetary reasons I'm interested in trying out the HVX-200 and wondering if anyone has any experience using it with blue or greenscreens and if so, what the verdict was in getting good pulls.

Thanks,

Barry

Here is a link to a bank commercial. Seamed to have pulled acceptable keys. I have seen several uses with keying the HVX and some have been successful. The ones with blue screen have been the worst I have seen. That could just be due to chance, or perhaps as David Mullen has mentioned before, the blue channel is noisier. What I have noticed is that as long as your not trying to key smoke/fog, flowing liquids, strawberry blonde whispy hair, etc. it seams completely acceptable for keying. I have actually pulled good keys before from well lit and placed subjects with mini DV(although very limiting). So I am sure the HVX will provide more blue/green freedom for shots and subjects.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=61098

• 1 month later...
Here is a link to a bank commercial. Seamed to have pulled acceptable keys. I have seen several uses with keying the HVX and some have been successful. The ones with blue screen have been the worst I have seen. That could just be due to chance, or perhaps as David Mullen has mentioned before, the blue channel is noisier. What I have noticed is that as long as your not trying to key smoke/fog, flowing liquids, strawberry blonde whispy hair, etc. it seams completely acceptable for keying. I have actually pulled good keys before from well lit and placed subjects with mini DV(although very limiting). So I am sure the HVX will provide more blue/green freedom for shots and subjects.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=61098

Thanks for the link. This helps me as well.

I shot a commercial two weeks ago and used greenscreen. www.sibte.com/riaz_web.mov (this is highly compressed). Except for the fact place where the model slaps the object around, I had absolutely no problem keying. There are however few things which I should share with you. Use the waveform and vector scope before and during your shoot. I kept the green close to 90 IRE, I am sure few people will not agree with me but it worked for me. Another thing which was really handy was that due to some technical issues as in not having 5.0.4 on my laptop I took a desktop G4 in the studio and had all the footage record directly on the timeline in FCP. I played all the clips in realtime to see if I had any problems. I shot all the footage at 2.8 aperture keeping the background soft, as its then easy not to see paint marks or any other artifacts.

This greenscreen facility is in suburbs of chicago and it was cheaper for me to fly out there and spend the whole day as compared to using it in NYC.